Crime logs show steady decline in campus theft

Statistics for thefts at UNA have revealed a trend students might find interesting: campus thefts have been decreasing in number over the years.

From the 2010 to 2011 school year onward, incidents of theft-related crime on campus have been gradually decreasing, according to the UNA police crime logs.

The log is published on the university police’s website in order to increase awareness about security matters, according to the website.

University Police Chief Bob Pastula believes the combination of safety awareness by SNAP, Residence Life, student conduct, The Flor-Ala and more frequent police presence has been the result of decreasing crime.

“I would like to see crime continue to decrease,” he said. “We will still continue to monitor the crime statistics and educate people about safety.”

Overall, Pastula and the force have been performing their normal duties to enforce safety on campus, he said.

“We look at the crime statistics frequently and try to place officers accordingly,” he said. “But with stealing crimes you just never know when it’s going to happen.”

Freshman Brittany Carter said there has been very little criminal activity in the dorm where she lives.

“I live in an all-girls dorm so I feel really safe,” she said. “We have student advisers that live on every floor who help control any craziness that could go on. But if anything were to happen and an adviser can’t control it, we can call the university police department in our dorm — they always have someone there.”

While Carter has not yet witnessed any of her personal items stolen, she has heard horror stories from her dorm mates.

“You have to lock your door whenever you leave and don’t walk off and leave expensive things sitting around where people can get to them,” she said.

Campus feels about the same safety-wise, said junior Taylor Davis.

“I will say that I have seen more UNA Police around making their presence known so that has obviously helped some,” he said. “I spend all of my time secluded to the music building area of campus so I don’t really see many other parts.”

Sophomore Lee Mayhall said he feels good about the way crime is decreasing on campus and would like to see it continue.

“I like the fact that the Lion Alerts haven’t been a common thing this year like it was last year with all the stuff that was going on in the parking deck,” he said.