Theology debate satisfies secular, Christian audience members

The crowd responded with intermittent cheers and jeers at the Christian Student Center’s debate “the pain and suffering in the world indicate that the Christian God does not exist.” The event was held in Norton Auditorium April 4 at 6 p.m. and was open to the community as well as students.

Kyle Butt, a Freed-Hardeman graduate, denied the claim while Bart Ehrman, James A. Gray Distinguished Professor, affirmed.

The event was deemed a success by the host group’s Vice President Luke Stevenson.

“Pain and suffering affects everyone and you have to question it,” Stevenson said. “It helps to be reminded who’s in control. It’s God.”

Students from the Secular Student Alliance also attended the event and believed it to be a success, though for different reasons.

“The main thing (Bart) Ehrman has said is to think for yourselves and not to just accept a simple answer,” said Secular Student Alliance founder Jonathan Baker. “He’s stated that these are only his opinions, whereas (Kyle) Butt has been dodging questions.”

The debate was less about winning and more about appropriate questions and answers, Baker said.

“I don’t see debates as a win or lose thing,” he said. “I think Ehrman was better up front and answering questions directly.”

Ultimately the event is for students by students, Stevenson said.

“I hope students had questions coming in and I hope they were answered,” he said.