Sodexo confirms 25 percent decrease in GUC revenue

Sodexo may have dodged a bullet  —by about 5 percent.

Although Sodexo originally predicted a 30 percent loss in revenue in the GUC, current figures show a drop of approximately 25 percent, said Alan Kinkead, general manager of Sodexo Dining Services.

“Overall revenues are not down, but you’re spreading revenues over cost,” Kinkead said.

This means Sodexo is not losing money, although less people are spending money in the GUC, Kinkead said.

Taylor Davis, a senior, spends most of his time in the music department and, while The Commons is closer, he usually goes to the GUC because of shorter wait times.

“I still go to the GUC because I like A&W and Pizza Hut,” Davis said.

When Davis and his friends have more time to spend, they go The Commons, he said.

“I don’t want to be in the middle of everything just to get food,” Davis said.

Although business has been taken away from the GUC, it is slowly leveling back out, Kinkead said.

Einstein Brothers Bagels seems to be leveling out faster than other places in the GUC.

“I think its (revenue) will somewhat level out,” Kinkead said. “I think the honeymoon is still going on at Starbucks and Chick-fil-A.”

Allison Cosby, a freshman, doesn’t go to either the GUC or The Commons because of the wait times.

“I went like once, and it was like we were in there forever,” she said.

Cosby doesn’t think the “new” will ever wear off of The Commons, and because of that, she chooses to go off campus to dine, she said.

Davis disagrees with this idea and believes when the “new” wears off of The Commons, people will dine more at the GUC, as in previous times.

Regardless, UNA benefits from the traffic as the new dining locations bring in more money to the university than just what’s included in tuition, Kinkead said.

“Sales from non-dining are more than Dining Dollars,” Kinkead said. “We have seen people from the community and faculty going over there (The Commons) and that’s important.”

Davis wonders if the GUC will lower prices, but he isn’t sure if even that would help the revenue loss, he said.

If the revenue trend continues, Sodexo may consider different hours of operations for restaurants in the GUC. Students can play a part in making sure this doesn’t happen, Kinkead said.

“Just keep supporting retail on campus,” he said. “We need the support. Let us know what we can do to make it better for you.”