President hires new VP of Business and Financial Affairs

UNA graduate and 1999 College of Business Promising Alumni Clinton Carter has been hired as the new Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs.

Officials have been looking to fill the position since former Vice President Steve Smith retired in December 2013.

The decision was made in late March to hire Carter after a multi-phase screening process, said University President William Cale.

“It’s his experience, his knowledge of accounting —federal and state — how to get projects done, buildings built, reports and audits completed — he had all of those things,” Cale said. “He’s really got fantastic credentials.”

The only knowledge Carter lacked was direct experience in higher education. Because of his work at the state finance office in Montgomery, he has a lot of indirect experience with higher education, Cale said.

Carter has worked for various financial institutions since 2001 and spent the last four years working as the Alabama Department of Finance Deputy Officer.

“My boss is the Chief Financial Officer for the state,” Carter said. “The CFO designs the budget for the governor, who makes recommendations to the legislature. The final budget is the responsibility of the legislature, but I’ve played a big role in that process.”

Darrell Dye, a senior, thinks Carter’s experience in government will benefit the university, he said.

“He has a lot of experience, so he should have the knowledge of how to manage money,” Dye said.

Because the Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs is responsible for overseeing the university’s overall operating budget, he also plays a role in combating the rising cost of tuition.

One way Carter would like to increase university revenue while avoiding a tuition hike is by working to get UNA more state funding, he said.

Carter made the decision to return home to Florence and come to work for UNA because he has always had a special sense of pride for the university and the city of Florence, he said.

“My wife and I are both very thrilled and excited to be coming back home,” he said. “We are both alumni of the university, so we are thankful for the opportunity to give back.”

Carter holds students, staff, faculty and their respective needs in high regards, he said

“The lifeblood of any university is its staff. They are there day in and day out,” he said. “However, just as important to the university is the student body. They all have their own passions and desires for their lives.”

Carter said he hopes the university will leave a lasting impression on the lives of students like it did his because students play a vital role in the success or failure of the university.

Because every person, department, student, administrator and staff member has different needs and concerns, he will always have an open door policy and be open to discussion with any member of the UNA community, Carter said.

“I’ll be on campus all over the place,” he said. “I’ll probably eat at the new Chick-fil-A and Starbucks a lot, so students can probably catch me there. I’ll never say no to someone to talk whether it’s in the Starbucks line or just walking across campus.”

Being successful in a leadership role requires a person to promote success and happiness in those they work around, he said.

“Good leaders foster the development of the people around them,” Carter said. “If the people you work with are happy, they’re more likely to work hard and strive to cut university costs.”

Carter said he is looking forward to working with UNA staff, from whom he can learn substantially.

“There are some really, really bright, experienced people working in the department, who have a lot of experience,” he said. “I’ll rely very heavily on their areas of experience and expertise.”

The expertise of the current staff plus the experience Carter brings with him from prior positions will ensure a successful team, Carter said.

“I won’t pretend to be the expert on all things university related, but I do think I have a significant head start as an alum of UNA and as an employee of the state.”

Carter will begin his term starting May 15, Cale said.