Goodbye is bittersweet, but it is time

It’s time.

As I write this, I’m sitting in the one place on campus that has transformed my life: the Office of Student Media. It’s been my home away from home for the last three years. I’ve been through failures and successes in this office. I’ve made friends, lost friends, been broken up with, pulled all-nighters, slept, sometimes eaten all three meals of the day, completed last-minute homework assignments and at times have generally lived in this office.

There are extra pairs of shoes under my desk, a blazer for emergency interviews (many thanks to my predecessor for that piece of wisdom, because it has served me well), too many coffee cups to count and a board full of Post-It notes — this place is my safe haven.

This office — working for The Flor-Ala — has taught me more than any classroom on this campus ever will. What we do each week is tough and there have been times I wanted to give up, but we push through and keep reporting, editing and designing.

As I reflect on three years spent with this publication, I can’t imagine what my life will look like without it. I can’t imagine waking up on Tuesdays and knowing it’s no longer production day for me. I’ll probably still panic a little around our 3 p.m. deadline on Sundays because I won’t remember whether or not I had an article due for that week’s issue.

But for every late night, tear shed and moment I’ve had to walk away in frustration, one thing is certain: My life is better because I was part of this publication.

I wouldn’t still be here without the encouragement (and oftentimes brutal honesty) of those in my life, though. I wish I had the space to say thank you to each individual but you all know who you are. So, thank you for the advice, constructive criticisms, motivation, kind words, honesty and being there to push me to be a better journalist during my time here.

I would be remiss if I didn’t thank my staff  — you each have worked so hard and I can’t express how grateful I am for your continued dedication to doing better work every week. I’ve watched you grow so much in your roles and wish you nothing but success as you move forward.

The Flor-Ala has been my safe haven and has given me opportunities beyond my wildest dreams, but now it’s time to let it do that for someone else. It’s time for me to leave this newspaper in good hands (which I know for a fact I’m doing) and start a new chapter in my own life.

As I do that, I know I will be able to look back on these years and every good and bad moment with a smile. This office is where I learned a lot about life, and for that I am forever grateful.

So, to all of those editors and writers who came before me and to the ones who were there beside me, thank you for three amazing years. It’s been wild, and saying goodbye is bittersweet, but…it’s time.