Stuck in this dam-town: students discuss woes, limitations of spring break in Florence

Wilson Dam, an architectural staple of the Shoals, provides hydro-electric power to the surrounding area. Students who are stuck in Florence may tire of the sight of the dam, while longing to be out of town on vacation during spring break.

Spring break is a time to go to the beach, spend time at home with their families or even study abroad. These are not always viable options, though. For some, the only choice is to stay in the Shoals for the entire week.

The reason could be work obligations, which is the case for senior nursing major Katie Mauldin.

“I was supposed to be going somewhere, but I found out I have orientation starting the Monday during spring break from 7:30 to 4:30 p.m. every day,” Mauldin said. “I just got a new job as a tech at ECM (Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital).”

Freshman Wesley Jenkins will also be in Florence to work at his job.

“I can’t go anywhere this year because I’ll be working all week,” Jenkins said. “It’s sort of a bummer, but I’m sure I won’t be bored.”

Others, like junior human resource management major Elizabeth Tyson, are restricted by finances.

“I decided that for this spring break I could stay home and save some money,” Tyson said. “My family used to take small trips, but now that I’m making the transition to being financially independent, not relying on my mom’s checkbook puts more of a limit on where I can go.”

Senior Maria Robertson, a social work major, relates to this as well.

“Home is 10 hours away for me,” Robertson said. “I don’t have the gas money. None of my friends are going anywhere, and I guess it’ll be a good time for me to save money. I can take my dog to the park or go hiking.”

Friends’ plans are the reasons why Scarlett Robinson, a junior majoring in professional writing, is not going anywhere that week. Now that she is older and does not always join her family on their vacations, it frequently depends on her friends’ plans.

“It’s not money or work,” Robinson said. “It’s my friends. They all either have to work (or) don’t have the money. I guess I just wouldn’t have anyone to go with.”

Many students agree while it might not be a traditional hotspot for spring break, the Shoals area is not without its fun activities, especially when the weather is nice.

“I think the North Alabama area has so much to offer that people tend to overlook it,” Tyson said. “Everyone is so quick to get away that they miss out on all the things to do here in Florence.”

Robinson believes students can stay in the Shoals for fun.

“There’s lots to do around North Alabama in order to save money or have fun and work a little too,” said Robinson. “I usually end up kayaking with my dog a few times that week.”

Robertson also plans on checking out some of the new shops around town, eating at the local restaurants, going for early morning runs and getting the tattoo she is always wanted, she said.

“I plan to explore the Shoals,” Tyson said. “Whether hiking at Cane Creek, taking a stroll through historic Downtown Florence, enjoying a day at McFarland Park, rummaging through the numerous antique stores throughout the area or having a coffee date at Rivertown, I don’t doubt I will have plenty of fun options.”