Senators table visibility, accountability legislation

The Senate Branch of the Student Government Association amended and tabled legislation requiring all members of SGA to hold at least one office hour per week.

The bill’s purpose is to make SGA more visible on campus and accountable to students, said Sen. Adam McCollum.

“Students seeing senators in the SGA office will bring greater visibility to SGA,” McCollum said. “I want us to be in the office working on SGA goals and (projects) so students can come talk to us about what we are doing to represent them.”

The bill originally required only members of Senate to spend at least one hour in the SGA office each week.

Sen. Jordan Graham presented an amendment requiring all SGA members, including members of Freshman Forum, the University Program Council and the judicial branch to have one office hour each week.

“The only way this bill is going to pass is if all members of SGA are required to be accountable, not just Senate,” Graham said. “Senate uses state money, but UPC spends student money to plan events, so they should also be required to be accountable to students.”

The bill was tabled until the March 13 meeting so it can be presented to UPC and Freshman Forum to receive feedback before a vote is taken.  

If passed, the bill will take effect at the beginning of the fall semester.