SGA fights to move student section back to home side

Fans cheer from the student section during a football game.

The Student Government Association has been working with the Athletic Department in an effort to move the student section to the home side during football games.

The UNAtics student fan group is the compromise SGA and the Athletic Department has come to. Assurance that the student section will be filled throughout the game is the major stipulation required by the Athletic Department.

A UNAtics membership is free and comes with multiple benefits. Student members will receive season tickets to sit in the student section on the home side of Braly Stadium. They will also enjoy T-shirts and discounts from local businesses. Specifics have yet to be decided.

SGA contacted Mark Linder, director of athletics, about a month ago, members said.

“SGA will have to present a solid plan (which we will help them create) that ensures that the students who are sitting on the west side will attend all the games and stay for the entire event,” Linder said.

There is only one requirement: commitment.

Adam McCollum, SGA student welfare chair, is putting everything together.

“We are looking for the most committed fans of UNA athletics,” McCollum said. “It comes with the territory. You have to be committed to showing up and staying throughout the entire game.”

McCollum said the Athletic Department does not wish to block off a certain amount of seats and have no one filling them.

“It started out as an idea of trying to get the student section on the home side,” McCollum said. “I hate the student section being on the visitors’ side.”

Communication between SGA and the Athletic Department will continue throughout the semester.

“We will need to meet again, once the SGA representatives have had time to get with the interested students,” Linder said.

A spot on the home side will be guaranteed for members of UNAtics.

“The department will issue the tickets in a block area and reserve each seat for the student group,” Linder said.

Policies of the east side will still be in effect. UNAtics will still be able to obtain free tickets for guests.

Students can sign up for UNAtics by clicking the link in the portal email or by going to Orgsync and filling out the form on the UNA Senate page.

The deadline to apply has been extended to Feb. 18. McCollum said SGA has already received multiple applications. They hope for 200 to 300 students to join in order for the move to occur.

“We are trying to build a fan base right now,” McCollum said. “If we can have strong commitment, Mark Linder might increase the amount of seats on the home side from year to year.”

Student Philip Towns is in full support of the move, he said.

“I would like to see the band facing me when it plays during halftime,” Towns said.

Student Bethany Pierce thinks the move has been a long time coming.

“It just makes sense,” Pierce said. “I would love to see UNA students on the home side.”