Flor-Ala hires new sports editor, former staff photographer

Former staff photographer Dallas Moore will serve as sports editor for the spring 2014 semester.

The Flor-Ala’s newest staff member is not someone new to Student Media at all — Dallas Moore, a former staff photographer, has taken over as The Flor-Ala’s new sports editor for spring 2014.

A Spanish major and avid adventure-seeker, Moore began volunteering in the Office of Student Media with the photography staff early last year. Over the summer, he was offered a permanent position as a staff photographer. Through taking assignments and tackling sports photography for the first time, Moore said he found a new love in — and on — the field.

“(Sports photography) came to be my favorite photography subject,” he said.

Editor-in-Chief Corinne Beckinger is pleased with the way the staffing change has worked, she said.

“He will be a great asset to our team,” she said. “He has a great personality that fits in well with everybody else.”

Moore’s semester plans for the sports section include covering spring sports while making the section something enjoyable for everyone on campus, sports fan or not.

“I want it to be something everybody will flip to when they pick up the paper on Thursday, regardless of their interest or knowledge (of sports),” he said. “I want it to be something that gets the campus excited about being active.”

Though he admittedly has no prior experience with sports, Moore has already dived headfirst into his position and has tackled learning the ropes of the sports section. He brings a background in design, and Beckinger said she thinks his abilities will add to his section.

While he still plans to volunteer with the photography staff, Moore said he has many interests outside of the Student Media realm. Being outside is one of his biggest interests, and he said he is an active member of UNA’s Outdoor Club. He also enjoys studying languages and will be spending a month of the impending summer in Peru with the university’s Foreign Languages department.