OAC, SGA partner with Florence Recycling Center

A recycling bin rests on the floor of a residence hall, filled to the brim with paper. The UNA Outdoor Adventure Club and SGA have partnered with the Florence Recycling Center to strengthen recycling efforts around campus. 

The UNA Outdoor Adventure Club (OAC), the Student Government Association and Florence Recycling Center are teaming up this year to improve recycling around campus. 

The OAC’s Director McKenzie Martin, is glad to help be a part of this momentous change around UNA, she said. 

“I’m so glad to see people from both the UNA and Florence community giving their efforts to increase recycling participation,” Martin said. “I enjoy being involved with the re-cycling committee as it shares a common philosophy with my Outdoor Adventure program at UNA.” 

These improvements have made the OAC a key hub for recycling in Florence, said Sarah Beth Simpson, a junior and member of the OAC. 

“I think people from the community can come and get a recycling bin from the OAC now,” Simpson said. “We really try to make sure every classroom on campus has a recycling bin and a trashcan.”

The OAC has some big plans lined up for this year to promote recycling, Martin said.

“This committee is focused on influencing people’s recycling behaviors and inspire action through awareness and education campaigns,” Martin said. “In Fall 2014, we plan to put on a week-long recycling campaign to encourage the UNA community to become more aware of common recyclable items, the recycling process in the Shoals, and sus-tainable practices.” 

Along with SGA, they will be giving away multiple prizes and freebies during the recycling campaign, Martin said.

“Recycling booths will be set up with information and give-a-ways including a ‘bottle swap’ where plastic bottles can be exchanged for reusable Nalgene water bottles. Post-consumer recycled paper 

bags will be given out to encourage collecting recycling products within their own home — and they are encouraged to sign a pledge to recycle dai-ly,” Martin said. “We are also currently working on putting posters near the green recycling bins in each classroom to distinguish which items can be recycled.”  

Martin believes that the community of Florence has shown enough promise to help fuel the week-long recycling program and encourages other organizations to help push the need for recycling on and around campus, she said.

“The success of these programs is community-driven,” Martin said. “I’ve been im-pressed with the UNA Facilities crew, Student Government Association, Freshman Forum, Outdoor Adventure Center and Florence Recycling Center who have already been working together to support these efforts. I invite organizations who support ideals to build a more sustainable and vibrant community to help with these initiatives.”

The SGA Senate plans to impact recycling on campus as well by funding the pro-ject, said Rules and Regulations Chair Heather Fields. 

“The Florence Recycling Center applies for grants each year,” Fields said. 

“They apply for grants to help put recycling on UNA’s campus. They’ve been working really close with facilities to find out what they need.”

With the help of the Florence Recycling Center, SGA has been able to reach out to students in ways that were never possible, Fields said.

“We’ve recently purchased a Hopper, which is a device that takes the recycling bins into a container to help get out the word on recycling,” Fields said. “OAC has been purchasing blue bins for teachers and faculty to use and green bins for students, which are funded by the Alabama Department of Energy.”

Although a need for multiple hoppers may arise in the future, Fields believes that one machine is enough for now, she said. 

“As far I know the university just gets one Hopper that can hold a bunch of recy-cling bins all at once, and then dumps everything in a truck to take to the recycling center,” Fields said. “But from my understanding, it will really help.”