Trio wins music showcase

Kristen Dunn, McKenzie Lockhart and Max Beech perform as member os the group Two or More during UNA Music Showcase on Thursday, Nov. 14. The group was awarded a trophy, a gift certificate for a vocal coaching session with Linda Young, a gift card from the Sound Shoppe and four-hour recording session with Noiseblock Music Group for winning the competition.

Musical trio Two or More was announced the winner of the 4th Annual UNA Music Showcase hosted by the Entertainment Industry Student Association on Nov. 14. Approximately 150 people attended the event to watch the 11 contestants, said EISA President Katie Swann.

Junior Kristen Dunn and her partners, Max Beech and McKenzie Lockhart, performed their original song, “What You Want.”

“I’m super thankful for the opportunity we had to do this,” Dunn said.  “Not because we wanted it to reflect us, but because we hope that the lyrics were a reflection of the Lord—a way for people to really see Him.”

Two or More was awarded a trophy, a gift certificate for a vocal coaching session with Linda Young, a gift card from the Sound Shoppe and four-hour recording session with Noiseblock Music Group, Swann said.

Young, Sandy Noland and Gary Baker served as judges for the event.

Swann was pleased with the event’s turn out, as this is her last year to help with the showcase, she said.

“All the acts did an amazing job,” Swann said. “This was my third and last year to help organize [the showcase], so it will be fun to see how this event continues to grow in the community.”

The competition, which was open to anyone in the community age 16 or older, held auditions in late October, Swann said.

“I think they did a great job of choosing the participants,” said Leslie Harvey, a student.

Jordy Searcy, a sophomore, was awarded a second place trophy for his performance of the song “Seasons.” Dustin Richardson took home the third place trophy for his performance of Justin Moore’s “Like There’s No Tomorrow.”

Other performers at the showcase included students Abby Lee Hood, Judson Mize, Alex Hughes, Madeleine Frankford, Logan Clark and Elle Claytor.

Last year’s UNA Music Showcase winner and current Singer River Records artist Rachel Wammack closed the show.

The small size of the Mane Room created a good environment for the showcase, said Dakota Doss, a student in attendance at the event.

“It was crowded and there was a really good vibe,” Doss said. “There was also a lot of different talent and types of music.”

The variety of talent and musical style probably made choosing a winner tough for the judges, said Katie Lackey, also a student in attendance.

“I was definitely glad I wasn’t one of the judges,” Lackey said.