SGA leaders evaluate their performances

Sunglasses line SGA’s display during their Fall Festival on Nov. 7. Each branch of SGA has hosted a variety of events this semester, said SGA President Laura Giles.

Throughout the semester the Student Government Association has been working to represent the student body.

Each branch has hosted variety of events for students and passed legislature that they believe is beneficial to the students, said SGA President Laura Giles.

“I feel like all of the SGA branches have done a great job, and we have passionate people representing the students at UNA,” Giles said. “This semester we had a lot of new members who have great ideas. Overall everyone has done an outstanding job this semester. “

Every semester, each branch of SGA sets both long and short term goals that they would like to accomplish during the year. 

This year, some of these goals included making campus more environmentally friendly, building campus spirit, making UNA more accessible and easier to navigate and improving campus safety and awareness, said Nikki Messer, Senate vice president. 

“SGA focused on initiating goals through each branch, but students might not see all the efforts simultaneously,” Messer said. “Many of the goals that SGA set cannot be (obtained) in one semester, but will be carried out for years and years.”

Even though they may not have completely accomplished each goal set, SGA took steps to accomplish parts of each goal this semester, Messer said.

“SGA has made strides in all of the different goals that we want to see happen,” Giles said. “Most of the goals that we (SGA) want to attain cannot be done with one set action — there is a process that takes place.” 

SGA held safety forums to improve campus safety and awareness and started a petition to make UNA’s campus smoke-free for a greener atmosphere, this semester. They built campus spirit by tailgating and attending athletic games and are working to make an up-to-date university map to make the campus more accessible, Messer said. 

“Students have to remember that we (SGA) are only two and a half months into the school year and these goals take time,” Messer said.

Anna Barrera, a junior, said she thinks SGA has done a good job this semester.

“I believe that SGA has done a wonderful job this semester, because they have been very involved and proactive,” Barrera said. “Anytime there is a campus event, it is very evident that some form of SGA has had their hand in it.”

Giles and Messer both agreed more student input is necessary for next semester.

“We would like to see more students feel strongly about what is going on at UNA and what they would like to see happen,” Messer said. “The SGA meetings are open to students and we would love for them to come and hear their ideas and concerns.”

Editor’s note: To read an editorial discussing SGA Senate’s performance this semester from Managing Editor Blythe Steelman, click here.