SGA senators discuss smoking surveys, campus activities

During last week’s meeting, the senators of the Student Government Association reviewed the results of a recent survey that may result in future legislation to make the campus tobacco-free. The senate will also be giving input into the hiring of new officers for the university police force.

To submit their vote for Homecoming Court, students were required to participate in a UNA Smoke Free Referendum Survey attached to the bottom of the ballot. 832 out of 6,385 eligible voters participated in the survey, according to the survey results.

Students were asked their opinion about smoke and tobacco-free policies at UNA and their personal smoking and tobacco use. Based on the survey results, SGA members will be giving students and faculty the opportunity to sign a petition to implement a smoke and tobacco-free policy at UNA.

“We (SGA) want to talk to the students to see what they want and get their opinions before we pass a bill on a smoke and tobacco-free policy,” said Senate Pro-tempore, Sarah Emerson. “Over 1,100 schools have passed a smoke and tobacco- free policy, based on the survey we have data on a piece of paper but we need student opinions and concerns.”

Of the 832 students who participated in the survey, 58 percent supported adopting an overall tobacco-free policy at UNA, according to the survey results. SGA members will be talking to students and faculty about the petition and giving them the opportunity to sign it.

At the next SGA Senate meeting, on October 10, the University Police will bring 3 to 5 police officer candidates for Senate members to interview.

“University Police are interviewing candidates and they want SGA to meet the candidates, ask questions and give student input to the hiring committee,” said Tammy Jacques, Director of Student Engagement.

First Fridays’ theme will be Paint it Purple, making it about UNA. Downtown businesses will be asked to paint their windows purple and make everything about UNA since it is the night before Preview Day. Preview Day is one of UNA’s biggest recruiting days, inviting high school seniors to tour the campus and attend the UNA football game, on Nov. 1.

“All RSOs will get a free booth for the November First Friday if they register on OrgSync by October 18,” said SGA President, Laura Giles. “We want a lot of RSOs to participate so we can have a lot of variety.”

SGA Senate is working with the Outdoor Adventure Center to get recycling bins in classrooms and residents halls. Freshmen Forum is also planning a competition among Greeks to promote recycling.

“The competition is between both fraternities and sororities to see who can raise the most recyclables including cups, plastic bottles, and cans,” said Mollie Schaefer, Freshmen Forum Student Issues Committee member. “A lot of students were interested in recycling, so my committee put this event together to raise awareness about how to recycle.”

SGA Senate also discussed the idea of utilizing the LaGrange Society golf carts to pick random students up on campus and drive them to their class. While driving students, SGA members can tell students what SGA is doing and get feedback.

SGA Senate has a variety of ideas and programs that they want to implement this semester and in the upcoming semesters.