Senate discusses fall festival, recycling, smoking and future events

SGA Senate voted to take $3,000 out of the miscellaneous budget to go towards the Fall Festival that they are hosting at the Amphitheater from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Nov. 7.

The $3,000 will go towards t shirts, decorations, food and advertising for the festival.

SGA is working towards providing recycling bins in all residents halls to promote being environmentally friendly across campus, said Heather Fields, rules and regulations chairwoman.

“Our main concern is security since people will have to go in and out of the residents halls to change the bins,” Fields said. “UNA has had problems in the past with recycling because of bugs but if the bins are changed regularly it shouldn’t be a problem.”

SGA Senate will have a table set up in the GUC to discuss the smoke free campus petition on Monday and Wednesday. Students will have the opportunity to learn more information about the petition and voice their concerns. 

RSOs on campus can set up a booth on Nov. 1 First Friday downtown for free to promote their organization. The Nov. 1 First Friday theme is Paint it Purple and vendors are encouraged to promote UNA.

“We would like to have all of our students at Paint it Purple since it is all about UNA and it is the day before Preview Day,” said SGA President Laura Giles. “It’s a great way for RSOs to advertise and get their name out there.”

SGA Senate will also be announcing the winners of the raffle ticket fundraiser at the Nov. 1 First Friday. The proceeds from the fundraiser will go towards the Endowed Scholarship Fund.

Freshmen Forum was also discussed at the meeting. Members will be selling customized wreaths this semester. The wreaths can be a variety of different colors and can be UNA or a RSO theme.