Former presidential candidate visits the Shoals, encourages proactive learning

Former presidential candidate Rick Santorum spoke at a political rally at the Round Table in Tuscumbia on Thursday, Sept. 26. The number of supporters at the event indicated the “passion” of the Shoals and its surrounding areas, Santorum said.

Former U.S. Senator Rick Santorum was the guest of honor at a political rally in Tuscumbia on Thursday, Sept. 26. The event, which hosted approximately 200 Shoals residents and UNA students, was sponsored by the Republican Party of Alabama.

Santorum, a former presidential candidate during the 2012 election season, highlighted the Shoals’ movement from a Democrat-controlled area to one featuring a number of Republican-party members now in office.

“Twenty-five years ago, Alabama (as a whole) was a Democratic state,” Santorum said earlier in the day during an interview with The Flor-Ala. “There’s constant change. I encourage folks to stand up for what you believe in and get active in that change.”

There has been change in the Shoals area in recent years, said David Black, chairman of the Colbert County Republican Executive Committee, during the rally.

“Three years ago, there wasn’t a single Republican office-holder in any of the four counties,” he said. “Now there are 20. People used to say a Republican could never win an election here — those days are over.”

The turnout at the rally was a great encouragement, Santorum said.

“It shows the passion you have in this area,” he said toresidents and students. “There are this many people at a political rally this far out from an election, and that shows passion.”

The UNA chapter of College Republicans helped host the event, and Chandler Stone, president, said other students on campus should pay more attention to what is going on in the political world.

“Students should care (about what is happening) because it’s their country,” he said. “It affects everyone, even college students. From student loans to healthcare, it all affects us.”

As students, there should be no fear in taking part in politics, said student Sarah Emerson. Emerson is also a member of the UNA College Republicans.

“The image (of the Republican party) is changing,” she said. “Our age group can really relate to it.”

Students should take an active role in forming their own opinions about politics and what is happening in the country, Stone said.

“Have an interest in the news, watch the news and form your own opinions,” he said.

Santorum offered the same advice for college students.

“The most important thing you could have is information,” he said. “It’s especially important in college to look at things from different points of view. Don’t just accept what you’re being told. At this age, you’re not getting the full picture, so gather and absorb as much information as you can to make decisions about the world around you.”

Santorum said he frequently speaks on college campuses and urges students to get involved and stand up for what they believe in.

“You’re gonna be the leaders,” he said. “I think it’s important to engage and talk to students now.”

After starting a College Republicans group on his own college campus during his undergraduate years, Santorum said he knew he wanted to be in politics someday.

“I got involved with a political campaign in college,” he said. “I caught the bug. I always knew I wanted to make a difference in the future of our country, though.”