Wesleyan renovations surprise students

Hardwood flooring, fresh carpet, painted walls and new ceiling tiles adorn the hallways of the newly renovated Wesleyan Hall. The building houses classrooms for geography, psychology, foreign languages, history and political science, as well as office space for a number of departments on campus.

Although Wesleyan hall still maintains a fortified exterior, many returning students and faculty are surprised at how different the newly renovated building looks on the inside.

“Every time I walk into Wesleyan, I think I’m in the wrong building,” said Marcela Villagrana, a UNA junior. “The renovations will definitely take some getting used to.”

The renovations took place during the summer and include new carpet, hardwood flooring, paint and ceiling tiles.

“I like the (new renovations),” said Katie Lindsay, a UNA sophomore. “It needed to be done. It was kind of a shock when I first walked in. I was like, ‘Oh, hey, something’s different about this.’”

Lindsay said before the renovations were done, the building felt old and slightly ancient. She said the most needed renovation was the new ceiling tiles, which replaced ones that were water-damaged and molded. 

“(After the renovations) I just thought how beautiful a building Wesleyan Hall really is,” said Keith Lindley, UNA associate professor of foreign languages. “It was kind of hard to tell before when it was not in the best state. Now, it just looks fantastic. (The renovations) have brought Wesleyan Hall to life.”

Lindley said that, prior to the renovations, there were weak spots in the floor and mold in some rooms. He said there was a musty smell that lingered in the hall, which has since been alleviated with the renovations.

“When I walked into the building, the first thing I noticed was the purple patterns on the carpet,” Villagrana said. “I didn’t even realize the walls had been painted, because I was so surprised to see the carpets. I liked that I could see everything better, but the gray walls haven’t grown on me yet.”

Villagrana, who has had classes in Wesleyan Hall for at least three years, said she had hoped university officials would not change the building too much. 

She said the elevator was in need of an update and the lights were a bit dim, but she had been fine with the building otherwise. 

“I kind of wondered what they would find in here after so many years,” Lindley said. “I’ve had bats in the French room before. I’ve actually been in there with a bat hanging from the ceiling. We used to have honey bees that inhabited the walls – lots of them. I didn’t know what kind of animals they might find living in here, but, as far as I know, they didn’t find anything.”

Lindley said he has been teaching in Wesleyan Hall for more than 10 years. He said the recent renovations of Wesleyan Hall are the best he’s seen.

“They made the building more attractive, especially, I feel, to the newer students,” Villagrana said “For those of us used to the old Wesleyan though, it’ll take a while to get accustomed to the changes.”