SGA aims to better the student experience

On behalf of UNA’s Student Government Association, I would like to welcome you to our campus! This year will be filled with stressful nights, social events, exams and life lessons. Do not let these things deter you from your goals for the year but strive to excel in all that you are involved in. Academics are your top priority and your parents will appreciate the fact that you are striving for a 4.0 this semester! 

SGA has many ideas for the coming year that we hope to work toward to improve our university for the students and our UNA community. We would also love to have input from our students on issues that we need to address on campus. You have members of SGA all around you in the classroom, organizations and social settings. Take time to get to know these students and allow them to be your voice throughout the year. Our purpose as your representatives is to advocate for the betterment of the college experience for our students, and we must have the opinion of the majority to make this happen. 

SGA is made up of four main branches. Senate, which is our legislative branch, works with the administration to improve our campus on the institutional level. University Program Council (UPC) plans events for our students to partake in throughout the year so that UNA feels like home to students. 

Freshman Forum is a combination of these two groups, made up of freshmen advocating for improvements for freshmen and creating social events for freshmen to attend. The judicial branch works with student conduct and other groups to ensure our code of conduct is upheld to the fullest and that SGA is representing our students efficiently. 

We are always looking for students to join our organization, in order to have maximum representation of the students. Please engage yourself in our efforts to better this campus by joining our RSO or by discussing issues with your SGA representatives around campus. Find more information on what we do at www.una.edu/sga. 

We are thrilled to have you here with us at this wonderful university and I am excited to lead the student body as this campus sees many improvements and excelling programs. Please stay tuned into what SGA is advocating for and working on throughout the year, and please feel free to contact any of us throughout the year. As we fill our branches with new students, we would love to see your face as one of our applicants! 

Please feel free to stop by the SGA offices located on the first floor of the GUC. Our executive officers have office hours throughout the day and we love to hear from our student body as much as possible. Be a leader on this campus and be a voice for yourself and fellow students. 

Roar Lions,

Laura Giles

SGA President