Newspaper should report informative, powerful stories

In the last year, this newspaper has published numerous powerful stories regarding scandalous ideas. These ideas were well-covered and insightful; however, the Life section took a lot of heat for articles involving any sort of sexual education. As your life editor, I’m telling you that you can expect these kinds of stories.

Does that information shock you? That’s not my intent. As a reporter, I don’t report things based on shock value, however some information that isn’t well-known should be. Sexual education is one of them.

These stories make people uncomfortable, and when people are uncomfortable they talk. When people talk, those afraid to talk are able to learn, which is exactly what we at The Flor-Ala are all about – getting the most accurate, relevant word out to as many people as possible. The National Center for Biotechnical Information reported that most adolescents know very little about fertility – over half of all males believed that females couldn’t get pregnant while on their period. Sexual education isn’t just for the guys on campus, either.

In relation to sexual assaults, one in four women are sexually assaulted by the time they reach college. With 3,100 full-time female students on campus, the knowledge of how to deal with rape and sexual assault is critical, and, when students take a stand against it, it is powerful. We need to report these things not simply because it’s emotional, but because it’s informative.

With three reported alleged rapes on our campus in the last year, it is no longer an option to print information on sexual safety and identifiers of consent. Within the last month, two people have come to me asking questions about what identifies rape, and one was male. The fact that students don’t know is appalling, though do not mistake that it is not their fault. Because we live in a society where it is taboo to talk about genitalia and intercourse, people are physically suffering.

Sex education aside, the Life section is here to inform you about what’s going on around campus – that includes downtown Florence and the surrounding area. In this section you’ll find all you need to know about where to eat, where to shop and when to put on your dancing shoes for an on-campus event. Need to know what the Greeks are up to? No problem. Interested in campus involvement? We’ve got you covered. This section is all about campus life, but more importantly your life.

Think about how these articles affect you. Furthermore, think about how they affect those around you. By discussing and informing others, you will be creating a safer, smarter and healthier environment. So be prepared for what is to come from your paper, and remember, that’s just what this is: your newspaper.