Student Nurses Association awards $1,000 scholarship

After raising scholarship funds this year, the Student Nurses Association (SNA) selected senior nursing student Stephanie Hooie as its first scholarship recipient Wednesday, May 15.

The trio in charge of SNA, Michelle Nelson, Peggy Bergeron, and Tara Kirkman, awarded Hooie the $1,000 scholarship.

Hooie said she plans to use the scholarship to help with the cost of tuition and books.

“This scholarship will help me pursue my dream,” she said. “After I graduate, I plan to work as a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit nurse (NICU) or in a hospital nursery.”

The criteria for the scholarship consist of being a member of SNA, having a 3.0 grade point average and completion of one full semester of nursing school.

Co-founder of the scholarship committee Tara Kirkman said this scholarship is significant because it is the first time it has ever been offered.

“This scholarship is funded by students through fundraisers and membership dues,” Kirkman said. “This scholarship is something we plan to do annually.”

The award will last for a period of one semester and recipients are eligible to re-apply the following year, according to the scholarship criteria.

To get more information regarding the SNA scholarship, email Peggy Bergeron at [email protected].