UNA Confessions receives mixed reviews

UNA Confessions is a Facebook page for UNA students to submit anonymous confessions that will be reposted on the page. Since its inception, it has received mixed reviews from students.

UNA Confessions, a new Facebook page, has received high traffic but mixed reviews from students. Since March 21, when the page was founded, the moderator has posted more than 200 student submissions that range from intimate details to bizarre rants. The creator of UNA Confessions remains anonymous due to the controversial nature of the page.

Other universities’ confession pages inspired the moderator to start his own page.

“I saw that other schools had similar pages and thought that UNA needed a place where students could anonymously confess or say things that they might not want to say on their own profile,” he said.

UNA student Michael Haymon said he is a fan of the page.

“I adore the UNA Confessions page,” he said. “I was just introduced this week, and it has become a wonderful addiction. I think it is a positive outlet. I know a lot of people think it’s an embarrassment, but those tend to be the types to avoid the reality of the human condition.”

Another student follower of the page said he likes UNA Confessions, but he thinks it doesn’t have much purpose.

“I enjoy it; it’s a way for UNA students to interact pretty freely, like a forum,” said Matthew Hutson, UNA student. “I wouldn’t say it’s got much purpose beyond entertainment and debate. It’s really just a reflection of UNA’s most vocal students, so it can be positive or negative. I think it’s a positive thing overall.”

Despite the good feedback, some students have qualms with the page. UNA student Jennifer Norman said she likes the page but sees a few things that she would like to change.

“If I was the moderator, I wouldn’t post so many posts bashing UNA,” she said. “You never know who will be looking at the page. Someone’s post could convince a potential student from not coming to this amazing school.”

Darcy Williams shares Norman’s opinion that there are some offensive posts on the site. However, she thinks the moderator is doing a good job.

“There is some foul language and adult content on the page, but what can you expect from a college page?” she said. “I think, for the most part, it’s appropriate enough for college students, and anyone offended easily can just ‘unlike’ the page. I don’t think there is much the moderator could change about the page.”

As an alumna of UNA, Ashley Thomas worries UNA Confessions could be a negative reflection on UNA.

“Some of the confessions are funny and lighthearted, but it seems like some are using the page as an outlet to vent their racism and sexism, or even to bully specific individuals,” Thomas said. “It doesn’t reflect well on the university for prospective students or on the community.”

Despite the mixed feedback on the page, the moderator sees positive possibilities for the social outlet.

“I’ve noticed that a lot of the confessions have brought people together with similar hobbies or beliefs,” he said. “There are a few posters that give good advice and want to help people with the problems that they might have, which shows how much students care about each other.”