Yearbook looks back on 100 years

Throwback. That’s what Diorama editors want to do when they release this year’s yearbook on campus next week on April 16 in Towers Dining Hall at 5 p.m.

This year’s yearbook theme is Throwback, a look back at 100 years of yearbooks at UNA, said Diorama Executive Editor Siobhan Gehrs.

“It’s exciting, but stressful at the same time, because you want to represent all of those editors well,” Gehrs said.

Gehrs said the book looks back at old yearbooks and old events that took place on campus.

“It was cool seeing what all they were doing back then, and it’s interesting to look back at professors that were on campus then,” Gehrs said.

Students will see a different look to this year’s book after editors decided to change the actual size of the book, while adding overall pages to the publication, officials said.

Although Diorama has not had 100 years of continuous publication, UNA has had a campus magazine or yearbook for 100 years, Gehrs said. Editors worked closely with librarians in Collier Library to obtain old documents and information, she said.

“Ms. Louise Huddleston has been extremely helpful letting us go through (the old documents and magazines),” Gehrs said.

Gehrs said while the technology and size of the staff has changed, the premise of the book hasn’t.

Gehrs said the staff decided to keep with the seasonal organization of the book that past editors put in place.

“This year, we still kept everything in seasonal order, but within the season they are divided and there is a table of contents in each section,” she said.

Gehrs said staff members will host a trivia night in Towers Cafeteria to help release the book April 16. The night will consist of UNA-themed trivia and gift card giveaways.

April 17 and 18, Gehrs said her staff plans to give out the yearbook to students and have live musicians playing in the GUC. April 18, Diorama will also be given out during Lion Night, an event SGA is holding in downtown Florence.

UNA’s yearbook, Diorama, is paid for through student fees and is available for students to pick up without any further payment.