Social sciences majors surpass business majors

According to UNA’s 2012 Marketing Research Report, the number of social science graduates has surpassed that of business majors over the course of the past six years. The report, which shows data as far back as 2006, shows that business majors at UNA have decreased a total of 25 percent while social science majors have increased 30 percent, according to a breakdown of the data provided by the Department of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment.

“We keep tabs, and have been keeping tabs, on degrees for over 20 years,” said Andrew Luna, director of Institutional Research, Planning and Assessment. “So we do see some changes from year to year.”

Luna said it has been a while since the department has decided to analyze trends in UNA degrees. He said the report was compiled since the department already had collected data for federal reporting.

According to the report, the highest increase in social science majors has come from geography, which has increased by 65 percent over the past six years.

“I will never forget attending SOAR as a transfer student when I went with my adviser to meet teachers in our department,” said Brianna Clark, a geography information systems (GIS) major. “I instantly fell in love. All the teachers that were there were genuine and took the time to speak with me and were very helpful.”

However, psychology, another major listed as a social science in the report, has remained consistent in its majors.

“We are kind of holding our own,” said Richard Hudiburg, chair of the psychology department.

Psychology degrees awarded at UNA peaked at 31 during the 2007-08 academic year.

“Social sciences, or at least psychology, interested me because it’s a different side to a person’s well-being,” said Victoria McCoy, a psychology graduate. “Many people seem to choose a medical field if they want to help people, but the mind is also important to everyday wellness.”

The biggest decrease in graduating business majors comes specifically from the branch of management information systems and business data processing, which decreased 73 percent during the past six years.“In the year 2006 or so, we had a significant number of international students in the master’s program,” said Santanu Borah, professor of marketing and management. “That number has dwindled.”

Borah said he believes the decline in international students within the program has impacted the number of business degrees awarded at UNA.

He said he also thinks that online classes have a lot to do with the declining numbers.

“You get hired because of your skills,” said Greg Gaston, professor of geography. “You get promoted for your education.”

Gaston said geography graduates learn a skill set in demand. He said spatially-based information, such as location apps and GPS units, is in demand and is currently expanding.

“We have a tradition of working hard,” he said. “We have a tradition of pushing our kids hard. Partly, it’s about relationships. Partly, it’s about the fact that there’s a professional career out there.”

Geography is the only discipline at UNA to have an independent alumni association, Gaston said. He said the geography alumni community is attractive to geography students because the community hires many of UNA’s geography students for internships or for steady jobs.

“The (geography) teachers are willing to sacrifice their time and help their students in any way,” Clark said. “This department is very active during all semesters doing research and presenting it in different conferences all over the United States.”