Students form ‘The Society’

Students dance at the first event of the newly formed social group The Society. The event was designed to foster stimulating conversation and provide an alternative to hanging out at local bars where the music is too loud, said Mack Cornwell, UNA student and Society co-founder.

Newly formed group The Society held its first event at Indie Spaces March 2. UNA students Stan Collins and Mack Cornwell founded The Society with hopes of creating a classy environment of stimulating conversation.

Collins and Cornwell arranged the event to foster conversation by keeping the music at a moderate level. The entertainment was electronic dance music from multiple DJs. Amidst attendees conversing, artists did live paintings and neon strobe lights to set off the music.

Collins first came up with the idea while attending a rave in Atlanta.

“We were all dressed up and in the midst of the rich and successful,” Collins said. “It was a whole different world. I want to bring that to Florence and get people to talk about important things, classier things and controversy.”

Cornwell said he wants The Society to provide Florence with more weekend entertainment options.

“Stan Collins wants to put on a show,” Cornwell said. “His dream is to have a venue for electronic dance music, so we formed this idea into an alternative to On the Rocks and FloBama.”

Jason Flynn, professor of film and digital media production, attended the event and enjoyed the new entertainment options it offered.

“It was a place to go after the (George Lindsey UNA Film) festival where we could talk and hear each other,” Flynn said. “Everyone wants choices, and in Florence, the bars aren’t a good place to sit down and talk.”

UNA student Brandon Pennington attended the event and, after its success, plans to attend future events as well.

“I certainly prefer this to the bars in downtown Florence,” Pennington said. “The conversation is better and the people are interesting.”

In regards to the venue, Pennington said Indie Spaces was a good fit.

“I don’t think this event would work as well anywhere else,” he said. “Indie Spaces has its own atmosphere, and the artwork adds to the mood.”

According to its website, Indie Spaces is a “collaborative workspace where creative entrepreneurs can work and sell their products.”

Stephen Farris, an attendee, agreed with Pennington that the venue was a fresh face for entertainment.

“I love the atmosphere and the idea of it,” he said. “The smaller place is more intimate than the bar, but it’s not too crowded to walk around and talk. This isn’t as casual as going to the bar, but it’s not an intimidating crowd.”

Collins said The Society will host future events once a month.

“We aim to bring new experiences to Florence that will leave people with a new outlook on entertainment,” he said. “This is only going to get bigger and better.”