This feeling of ‘Anticipation’

Florist Diane Rowell prepares a rose bouquet for potential customers at her downtown floral shop. Employees at Something Ele’Gant, Rowell’s floral shop, have been preparing for Feb. 14 for a few weeks, Rowell said.

by Staff Writer Kali Daniel

Attitudes about Valentine’s Day vary among students from sincere, embracing enjoyment to cynical disapproval.

Many guys tend to soften up towards the idea of wooing females on Valentine’s Day.

“It’s an amazing feeling,” said Dongoh Kim, an international student. “It’s just this great feeling of anticipation — everyone likes someone and it’s a really good feeling to get something from your boyfriend or girlfriend.”

Some couples choose not to play up the hype of the holiday by celebrating it casually together.

“I think it depends on where you are in a relationship,” said Cory Moss, UNA student. “It’s a designated time to be romantic and go on a date with your partner, not that you shouldn’t be going on dates anyway. For instance, I gave my girlfriend a card already and I might surprise her with a rose or probably her favorite flower.”

Girls seem to be exponentially more jaded about the Valentine’s holiday than guys.

“It’s a scam,” said Amber Lyons, a fashion merchandising major. “Retailers are trying to get people to buy candy, flowers and jewelry. The sentiments are fake. I hate it and it’s depressing.”

“To me, it’s great and sweet, but it’s primarily a time for businesses to boost sales,” said Shelby Fink, UNA students. “It’s good for the economy and it’s affectionate, but it seems to me that the older you get, the less you care.”

Many professors on campus still celebrate the holiday and even look forward to it.

“On Valentine’s Day, the first step is to get a babysitter,” said Vince Brewton, associate professor of English. “I’m taking my wife to Sweet Magnolia where we already have our reservations — if I can get my act together, I will get her a present but what can I say, I’m not the Emperor in ‘Star Wars.’ Things aren’t proceeding as I’ve foreseen.”

“I love Valentine’s Day!” said Emily Kelley, coordinator of the Center for Women’s Studies. “It’s one of my favorite holidays. I think it’s great to have a day on which to tell someone you love them, but only if you do so every other day as well. Telling someone he is loved is never redundant. I never get tired of hearing it, and I daresay most people would agree.”

She also stressed that Valentine’s Day’s affection should be an extension of already present sentiments.

“Relationships need lots of nurturing to grow and flourish, just like anything else that you want to bloom,” Kelley said. “You have to feed them and tend them and not just leave them to chance. You can’t just nurture or feed them once a year, say, on Valentine’s Day. You must tend them continually.”