Greer hopes to finish career strong on, off field

Senior golfer Jake Greer prepares to make a shot during practice in preparation for the Gulf South Tournament.

Golf team member Jake Greer hopes to continue success in his senior season with UNA.

After the UNA golf team found itself in the win column in several tournaments in the fall of 2011, Greer said he wants to continue pushing forward and finishing strong after each match and as his career at UNA comes to a close.

“We want to keep playing good like we are;we’ve won seven out of eight tournaments,” he said. “Individually, also keep playing well. I want to try and grab a couple of individual honors, but more or less it’s a team thing, and we just want to try and win it all. I’d like to be first team all-American, first team all-region and first team all-conference. The last couple of years, I’ve been all-academic, and I’d like to continue that. That is one I’m really focused on.”

Greer is graduating in May of 2013 and majoring in sports management. Although he is a student athlete at UNA, the ‘student’ part is very important to him and his future.

“I always have to be on top of everything,” he said. “The teachers here are great and always work with you especially if you’re an athlete; I just do the work that I have to do.

“I want to be a golf coach in college, hopefully somewhere in the South. I’ll go anywhere, but a Division I school would be great, but hopefully start out as an assistant somewhere in Florida, maybe.”

Head golf coach Stuart Clark worked as a professional golfer before taking the head coaching job at UNA. Greer said he is a great leader and that he leads simply by example.

“He shows us by his example; he is not very vocal,” Greer said. “He wants us to do the best we can and also to show the younger guys the right way to do everything.”

Game-day routines for any athlete might be considered superstitious, crazy, etc. simply because some athletes stick to the same plan on every game day, or in Greer’s case, a golf tournament which could be several days in a row.

“I’m the crazy one on the team; everyone else is there about 30 minutes before their tee-time—I’m there an hour and a half early,” he said. “I try and get prepared mentally and make sure my body is awake. I eat breakfast—anything we got—Chick-fil-a, free continental breakfast at the hotel, whatever. I listen to music. I usually turn on my iPod and listen to the “Meet Virginia” radio station on Pandora and crank out to that until it’s time to go.”

Greer encourages other student athletes to stay on top of their studies and do well in the classroom, not just on the field/court/green.

“Stay on top of everything, (and) don’t skip class,” he said. “It seems like the cool thing to do at the time, but like a week later you’re sitting there wondering what you’re doing in class, and that’s not fun. Always have a good relationship with the teachers—they’re there to help you and the professors care about you graduating and looking to help you out.”