The Big Deal in review

W

On Aug. 16, the University of North Alabama held its Big Deal event. 

The event is one of the biggest that students experience throughout all of Mane Month. It was a massive hit around the campus. During the event, multiple streets were blocked off by both vendors and the hundreds of students roaming around them. Most of the students were holding an assortment of UNA merchandise that was handed out to them in droves.

One of the biggest aspects of the event was the food. Many of the businesses and clubs had free food to drive interest to their booths, and the college students greatly appreciated it. The streets were packed with people holding hamburgers, popsicles, and lemonade. The coffee samples and churros were especially popular among those looking for some extra energy for the festivities.

This led to the creation of an overwhelmingly positive environment for the attendees. 

“Everyone was very nice and friendly throughout the event,” said one student. “The atmosphere was very energetic.”  

The energy did not die down with time. Nearing the end of the event, a dance battle broke out in the middle of the square. Multiple students complimented the DJ and his choice of songs. It did a lot to bring up the spirits and liveliness of those in attendance. It was difficult to look around and not see someone dancing to the music. 

There was an incredible variety to the students who attended. Booths were present for an array of on-campus groups, including fraternities and sororities, student-led ministries and the theater department. Every person who was present at the booths was excited to talk to those roaming around and let them know about all of the possibilities present for them. 

The amount of people and events was staggering. Both students and faculty attended, and the faculty were just as surprised. 

“I am very impressed and surprised by all of the organizations that we offer,” said a faculty member.

She was entirely unaware of how many different groups that UNA has for students to participate in. 

The event was a resounding success, and a wonderful start to the semester. Students and faculty alike had a fantastic time meeting new people and experiencing new things. Students got to make friends and connections that will last a lifetime. Teachers were able to meet and experience some of the students they will have in the upcoming semester, and there was even a UNA legend roaming around in the form of the Hot-Dog Man. The Big Deal will certainly be remembered for a long time.