UNA’s vice president of student affairs resigns

As the beginning of classes approach at UNA, the university will be starting the 2018-2019 academic year without David Shields in his normal role as vice president of student affairs. Shields sent in a letter of resignation to the university July 17, and his resignation was effective July 31.

Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Ross Alexander said Shields will assist the university in finding a replacement during the change of personnel.

In President Kenneth Kitt’s response to Shields letter July 18, he approved an employment extension, which will keep Shields on payroll through Sept. 30 for helping during the transition.

“He is just a great guy. He is a kind-hearted, professional man. I just can’t say enough good things about him,” Alexander said.

Kitts said in an email that Shields resigned “to pursue other opportunities.”  Following his resignation, Kimberly Greenway will act as the interim vice president of student affairs.

Student affairs official, Kimberly Greenway, assumed the duties of the position July 27.

The Flor-Ala made an open records request for Shield’s personnel file July 25 but was turned down Aug. 9.

Human resources denied the request pursuant of Stone v. Consolidated Publishing Co., 404 So. 2d 687, 681 (Ala.1981).