SGA plans “Snowdaze” events for students

by Student Writer Hailey Blankenship

The Student Government Association will host a welcome back week for students beginning Jan. 23. SGA named the series of events “SnowDaze.”

SGA President Sarah Green and Vice President of University Program Council Nic Smith said they wanted to give students another chance to meet new people as well as reconnect with old friends.

“SnowDaze” is designed to be a great opportunity to allow students to get involved with organizations and activities on campus, said Green.

All of the events will be free.

“SnowBall” will be Friday, Jan. 27, 7-10 p.m. at the Guillot University Center Banquet Hall. This is a formal event that any student on campus can attend.

Smith said he is most excited for the “SnowBall” because he loves the opportunity to dress up in formal attire.

This will be the second year SGA has hosted the “SnowBall.” There will be food and drinks. DJ Casper and former student Rachel Wammack will perform.

Junior Ashley Knight attended many “SnowDaze” events last year. She said she is most excited about going to the SnowBall again.

“I enjoyed dressing up, dancing and eating free food,” she said.

SkyZone will be Jan. 24 from 8-10 p.m. The first 250 students to sign up through OrgSync will receive a one-hour jump pass to SkyZone Trampoline Park, located on Magnum Street in Florence.

One hundred twenty-five students will be allowed to jump on the trampolines each hour. This is the only night where food is not included.

Senior Paige Watkins said she is most excited about SkyZone because she has always wanted to jump on the trampolines, but did not want to pay to do it.

Movie Night will be at the GUC Performance Center Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. The film is “Loving,” which is about one of the first interracial marriages in Virginia and the court case that went along with it. Students will enjoy free snacks and novelties in addition to the movie viewing.

“The Big Chill” will be in the GUC Banquet Hall Jan. 25 from 5-7 p.m.

This is an RSO affair similar to “The Big Deal,” in the fall where students can get more involved with on-campus activities.

Senior Matt Uptain said he is looking most forward to “The Bill Chill.”

“Interacting with others on campus and meeting new people is an important part of campus life and college in general,” he said. “Events like these can also make important connections that may help you down the road.”

“Polar Plaza” will take place Jan. 23 from 5-7 p.m. at Harrison Fountain. There will be free chili and students can hang out at the fountain and meet new people.

Green said she is looking forward to the movie night and “The Big Chill.” She has been wanting to see “Loving” for a while now, and she said she loves all of the student involvement that comes from activities such as “The Big Chill.”

Green said as the newness of the semester is wearing off and students are getting back into the groove, these will be fun events.

Smith said he hopes students will participate and enjoy the events because their money goes into them.

“One of our goals is being good stewards of our financial resources,” he said. “It makes it much easier to do that when students get involved in things like this.”

Green said she would attend all of the events even if she was not in SGA.

“This is a great opportunity to get to hang out with all kinds of people and get free dinner,” she said.