English Club sells treats and reads

Cookies and books line a table in the Gulliot University Center Nov. 8 for the English Club’s book and bake sale. All books leftover from the sale will go to the Limestone County Correctional Facility, said senior Brooke Carlson. 

The UNA English Club will continue their book and bake sale Nov. 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Guillot University Center atrium.

Proceeds will go toward future club projects like a promotional event for UNA’s annual literary magazine “Lights and Shadows” and literature conventions.

The English department cannot sell certain books like textbooks, but they can donate them, said senior Brooke Carlson.

The club plans to donate them to the Limestone County Correctional Facility. Assistant English Professor Katie Owens-Murphy volunteers at the prison, and that is where the club came up with the idea, Carlson said.

“We really wanted to do something for our community,” Vice President Laura Wood said. “There are many people in the area that don’t have access to books, especially those who are incarcerated.”

The club hopes donating textbooks to the correctional facility will give inmates the ability to increase their education while they are in prison, Carlson said.

“They really are in desperate need of any reading material,” said senior Lauren Hayes.

Freshman Karina Meza said she is happy to see the unused books going to a good cause.

“I think it’s really neat that community service is involved because they are donating them,” Meza said. “If there is no more use for those books, that’s a better option.”

The book sale will include books from all genres, Hayes said.

The English Club used to hold the book drive every year until club participation declined due to the lack of student interest, Carlson said.

When Hayes and Carlson restarted the club at the beginning of this semester, they wanted to make sure to continue the tradition of the book drive.

“It was something the English Club was always known for,” Hayes said.

Hayes and Carlson had to figure out how to plan the book sale without the guidance of any past members, Hayes said.

“I suppose if there was an old way of doing it, we are probably a little off track from that,” Hayes said. “I’m just glad that it has seemed to all work out fine.”

Books are currently in 12, large, printer boxes in English instructor Anissa Graham’s office in Willingham Hall, Hayes said.

“A lot of the books were either given to her or are things she has accumulated over the years,” Hayes said.

Any students interested in making book donations can drop them off in the boxes in Willingham Hall.

For more information about getting involved with the English Club, contact Carlson at [email protected].