String Studio at UNA brings relaxation to campus

Treasure Franklin
Yoga House instructor and co-owner Ashley Haselton teaches students.

To provide some relaxation for students on campus, the String Studio of UNA sponsored an event with the Yoga House at the McKinney Center. 

The String Studio is a collection of string students in the music department on campus, and the organization has recently become a registered student organization recognized by the university. The organization is headed by three faculty advisors: Dr. Suren Petrosyan, who teaches Cello & Double Bass; Dr. Christina Volz-Stomackin, with Violin; and Dr. Amanda Wilton, with Viola. 

“These sorts of events are so important for any sort of musician,” said Volz-Stomackin. “It really helps us focus on our mental and body wellness and our mental and emotional health.” 

The event featured an introductory yoga class. It was a great way for students who may have been unfamiliar with yoga to experience something they wouldn’t normally go out and do by themselves. The yoga house came to the McKinney Center during the String Studio’s class and held the event. Student President and Representative of the organization, Fresly Umaña Chaves, orchestrated the event. 

After remembering a past collaboration with the yoga house and UNA, Chaves looked to collaborate with them again to help with the mental and physical well-being of all the musicians in the department. The yoga house was more than willing to join forces and help the students relax during this stressful time. 

“At this point of the semester, there’s a performance or two every day, [and] we forget to take care of ourselves,” said Chaves. 

Chaves is a senior from Costa Rica majoring in Music Performance, she has planned many events for the studio to attend and host. The group recently went to Nashville to watch the Nashville Symphony, which featured a Costa Rican director. This is her third year in the String Studio, but the second semester of its RSO status. 

“It’s open to everybody. It doesn’t matter if it’s for musicians or any other major,” said Chaves. “I know there are so many projects and exams, and it’s a tiny break between all the chaos.” 

There were giveaways for the first 20 participants and free food to enjoy for all at the event.