Collaboration room opens for campus use

Quality Enhancement Program Director Lisa Keys-Mathews holds the gand-opening ribbon for ThinkSpace in pace as Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost John Thornell cuts it. The ThinkSpace Open House was March 17 from 2 – 4 p.m., and the ribbon-cutting ceremony began at 3 p.m.

The ThinkSpace Open House, March 17 from 2-4 p.m., brought students, staff and faculty to view the new collaboration area.

A product of the Quality Enhancement Program, ThinkSpace is a collaboration room in the basement of Collier Library for groups to work on projects or presentations. The room includes technology such as 3-D printers, a projector, monitors of various sizes and virtual reality goggles. The room also has moveable tables and chairs.

“I’d say that it has exceeded my expectations,” said President Kenneth Kitts. “When I first began to hear about it, I thought that it meshed very nicely with the creativity and the innovation that we have on campus. But, I couldn’t wait to get over here and see it. I’m blown away. “

Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost John Thornell led the ribbon-cutting ceremony at 3 p.m. At that time, there were around 40 people in ThinkSpace.

There were approximately 100 visitors to ThinkSpace during both hours, said Quality Enhancement Program Director Lisa Keys-Mathews.

“The more people that come see it, the more that realize that students, faculty and staff can use it,” she said.

Keys-Mathews said she wants everyone on campus to use this new resource.

“My goal for ThinkSpace is that it encourages creativity, collaboration and problem-solving and that it gives the folks that are in there the opportunity to use equipment and materials they haven’t had a chance to experience,” she said.

ThinkSpace is also accepting student volunteers to help monitor, open and close the room, she said. Interested students can email her at [email protected].

Becoming a volunteer lets students interact with up-to-date technology, said junior Patrick Wilson. Willis recently became a volunteer.

“I have always loved 3-D printing,” he said. “A few years ago, no one had a regular printer. I think in a few years everyone will have 3-D printing. I like being ahead of the curve.”

Wilson said ThinkSpace is a benefit to students.

“I had a bunch of group projects last semester,” he said. “If I had (ThinkSpace), they would have been easier to complete.”