SGA sponsors ‘It’s On Us’ launch party at UNA

SGA hosted an “It’s On Us” campaign launch party at the Memorial Amphitheater Nov. 5 from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

“It’s On Us” is a nationwide campaign to raise awareness about sexual assault.

SGA gave out pizza, Frios Gourmet Pops, and shirts to students as they learned about ways to prevent any type of sexual assault on campus and throughout the community.

“Our goal was to raise awareness,” said SGA President Nick Lang. “Over 257 students signed a banner, taking the pledge against sexual assaults. It was above our expectations and phenomenal, and this was just our launch party.”

Students can request a peer educators to speak to student groups about sexual assault prevention. These educators are students trained to help others better understand sexual assault and how to get help. Lang said Greek societies, RSOs and First-Year Experience classes have already requested peer educators speak at their meetings. Any student organizations can request the educators to speak to their groups about sexual assaults, he said.

“It is sad that this is a problem today, but great that it’s being brought to attention to help students protect others and be protected from sexual assault,” said senior Mikey Hollander.

Lang said more events are coming to further educate students about how they can help prevent sexual assaults from occurring.