Campus anticipates severe weather

Update: A lion alert announcing an extremely dangerous storm cell in close proximity was sent out at 3:01 p.m. 

The University Awards Banquet has also been cancelled and will be rescheduled for a later time. 

“At this writing we plan to be open tomorrow,” Cale said in an email to the campus community at 2:26. p.m. “However, should that change, alerts will be published on all appropriate outlets.”

For further emergency information and a full list of campus shelter areas, click here.

The Shoals area can expect severe weather this afternoon until early Tuesday morning. While the university is currently open until further notice, Kilby Laboratory School will be closing at noon today, April 28.

The highest threat of weather events is expected to arrive around 3 p.m. and includes potential for: strong tornadoes, damaging winds, large hail and heavy rain, according to a press briefing from the National Weather Service office in Huntsville.

Campus Police are currently watching the weather and will make recommendations to officials as the situation develops, said UNA Police Chief Bob Pastula.

“If there is a reason to evacuate and take shelter we will be sure to send out a Lion Alert,” Pastula said.

President William Cale recommends members of the campus community be familiar with safe areas in case of an emergency.

“A final determination about the academic and student affairs awards banquet scheduled for this evening will be made this afternoon about 3:30,” said Cale in an email to faculty and staff. “A notice will be transmitted announcing the status of that event at that time.”

Mascots Leo and Una will be safely locked inside their interior habitat to avoid the weather, Pastula said.

For further emergency information and a full list of campus shelter areas, click here.