Organizations prepare to compete, raise money through Step Sing 2014

Members of Alpha Gamma Delta perform during their first-place performance in last year’s Step Sing competition. There will be nine acts competitng during Step Sing 2014 on Feb 7 and 8, said Lesley Carter, service chair of SGA Senate.

The University Program Council will be hosting Step Sing 2014 Feb. 7 and 8 at 7 p.m. in Norton Auditorium.

This year’s theme is “Dancing though the Decades,” said Lesley Carter, service chairwoman for the University Program Council.

“The theme is basically a tribute to times past,” Carter said. “We chose this theme just because we know people enjoy the music and the cultures of different decades. We wanted to get a variety of shows that could show off the different organizations’ creativity.”

Step Sing gives organizations a chance to raise money for those in need, said Tyler Thompson, assistant director of programming and student engagement.

“Ultimately, (Step Sing) is to raise money for United Way,” Thompson said. “It’s an opportunity for our students to have fun, while also making some money from admission to give to United Way. Last year (Step Sing raised) $11,211.50 to donate.”

There will be nine groups competing this year, Carter said.

“In the men’s division we have Delta Chi fraternity, Kappa Sigma fraternity, Alpha Tau Omega and Phi Gamma Delta, or FIJI,” Carter said. “In the women’s division we have Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Mu and Zeta Tau Alpha. Then we have one co-ed group, the Honors Student Organization.”

Members of Phi Mu sorority have been preaparing since early January for the competition, said Jeri Willoughby, who is acting as the group’s co-captain.

“We’ve been practicing really hard since Jan. 6,” Willoughby said. “We usually get at least 4 hours a day of practice. The girls really have been working so hard, and we’re so proud of them. I think that regardless of the outcome, it’s been worth it because we always have a blast together.”

Step Sing allows the teams to grow closer together, said Christian Bayens, junior and president of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity.

“Aside from knowing that we’re helping to raise thousands of dollars for United Way, I would say that from a Greek aspect, Step Sing is the best brotherhood building experience of the semester,” Bayens said. “You can definitely see the guys having a stronger bond by the end of it. That is thanks to the countless hours they spend working towards a common goal.”

With only one non-Greek team this year, UPC would like to encourage more non-Greek organizations to participate in Step sing in the future, Carter said.

“People feel that (Step Sing) is kind of a Greek thing,” Carter said. “People don’t know if they can really compete with the Greek life, but I know that (for) Honors Student Organization, this will be the third year that they’ve competed. They usually do pretty well and provide a great show for everyone.”

The Honors Student Organization is not at a disadvantage by being the only non-Greek team, said Hailey Boeck, junior and president of the Honors Student Organization.

“I don’t think that an affiliation to any organization gives anyone an advantage or disadvantage,” Boeck said. “All of the organizations, Greek and non-Greek, have an equal shot at winning the title. It just comes down to hard work and having fun for United Way.”

Students should buy their tickets and arrive early because seats tend to fill up fast, Thompson said.

“The doors open at 6,” Thompson said. “Tickets are available online, and they’re $9 dollars at www.una.edu/boxoffice. If you wait until (you arrive), they’re $10.”

Step sing will be a new experience, said Veronica Lewis, a freshman.

“Not to be biased, but my friend will be in Step Sing, and I’m going to support her,” Lewis said. “I want to see what her group does, but I also want to see what the other groups have put together. I’ve never been, so I’m also not sure what to expect.”

UPC could probably do more to promote step sing, said Quod Freeman, a junior.

“I probably won’t be going to step sing,” Freeman said. “I haven’t really heard anything about it. If there were more things around campus talking about it, then I would probably know more and might go.”

Editor’s note: To read about the results of last year’s competition, click here.