Faculty alumnus appointed new director of communications

UNA English instructor Terry Pace was appointed UNA Director of Communications and Marketing Sept. 23. Pace served as the Interim Director of Communications and Marketing from March through September.

Pace said he has many goals that he would like to accomplish in his position. 

“Focusing on the new innovative cutting edge programs at UNA and the research being done by faculty and students, we now have an opportunity to bring the world to UNA and UNA to the world on so many different levels,” Pace said. “I want to celebrate UNA as a cutting edge institution that values research and thinking outside the box.”

Pace said he looks forwad to continuing work in the Office of University Communications and Marketing.

“It’s more of a holistic office now —   we have a web communications manager, a videographer, graphic designers, layout specialists and a staff photographer all working together in one office,” Pace said. “Everybody is so gifted and creative so we play off of each other’s strengths and complement each other’s talents so well.”

Having grown up in the Shoals and receiving his Bachelor’s and Master’s at UNA, Pace said he is glad that he is able to continue serving UNA.

“I am so honored and thrilled to be here because UNA has always been home to me and has always been a huge part of me,” Pace said. 

In 2007, Pace served as the Interim Director of University Relations for seven months. At the time, the position was public relations based but over the years has transformed into communications and marketing, said Pace.

“As Director of Communications and Marketing, my job includes public affairs, public relations, publicizing events on campus and preparing marketing materials for departments and programs, among other things,” Pace said.

Pace has years of experience in the communications field, writing for the TimesDaily for more than 25 years. His newspaper and wire-service articles earned top awards from The New York Times, Associated Press, the Alabama Association, the Alabama Music Hall of Fame and Best Music Writing 2000.

Since 2006, Pace has taught freshmen composition and sophomore literature as an adjunct instructor at UNA. He also teaches continuing-studies classes on movies and movie history at UNA.

“I want to stay in the classroom and teach at least one English course a semester and also a film history course at East Campus for adults,” Pace said. “It’s important to me to stay connected to the faculty, students, and the community.”

Hannah Gilbertson, a sophomore, said she enjoyed Pace’s English class and hopes he will continue teaching.

“He was hands down the best professor I have had at UNA,” Gilbertson said. “He genuinely cares for his students even after they are done with his class.”

SGA President Laura Giles is happy that Pace was promoted as Director of Communications and Marketing and feels he will do a great job in this position.

“Mr. Pace is a man of good character and positive attitude, and I have a feeling that he will excel in this position he is now holding for the Director of Marketing and Communications for UNA,” Giles said.