Program council to increase marketing

UPC delegates discuss event planning in their first meeting of the semester Aug. 26. Scheduled events include a showing of “Monsters University” on Sept. 20.

The University Program Council (UPC) has set a goal this year to implement public relations and marketing for upcoming events throughout the fall and spring semesters. 

UPC, a branch of the Student Government Association (SGA), plans events specifically for UNA students. 

Walter Hartley, vice president of UPC, said he had each of UPC’s five committees elect one person from their committee to serve as a public relations representative.

“Two years ago, UPC chose to eliminate the existing Public Relations Committee because the committee chair was not hosting meetings and we did not see the reason why the committee was there,” Hartley said. “After we eliminated the committee, UPC lacked in public relations and marketing.”

Last year, UPC members wrote and presented a bill to Senate that required one member per committee to handle all public relations and marketing for said committee, Hartley said. The bill passed.

“I (intend) to go by all of the code of laws in our constitution,” Hartley said.

The public relations and marketing member elected by each committee will make posters and announcements for their committee’s events.

UPC began their first meeting of the school year on Monday, Aug. 26 by discussing their plans for the fall semester, which include adding a public relations seat in each commitee. 

UPC members said they plan to have a “Welcome to the University” movie night and will show “Monsters University” in the GUC on Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. 

“Because we have the opportunity to purchase movies before they are released, UPC decided to pick ‘Monsters University’ because it takes place at a college,” said Alyson Berry, movies and novelties committee chairwoman.

The “Welcome to the University” movie night will act as a pre-tailgate to the home football game the following day, Berry said. Students will be able to eat popcorn, socialize and watch the movie while tailgating for Saturday’s football game.

UPC members said they also plan to host a dinner and comedy show for 300 students. The first 200 students will be provided with a pre-show dinner following an act with comedian Ronnie Jordan. The finsl 100 students will only be able to attend the comedy act.

Throughout the semester, UPC members said they plan to team up with other Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) to participate in “Service Saturdays.” One Saturday each month, RSOs will team up together and provide community-wide service throughout the Shoals.

“In November, UPC will be teaming up with Alternative Break Board to participate in a food-pantry program or a soup kitchen,” said Lesley Carter, service committee chairwoman.