Wesleyan to receive renovations

Many of the walls in Wesleyan Hall are showing signs of decay. Officials have approved the funding for renovations to the historic building. Director of Facilities Michael Gautney said the renovations are expected to cost approximately $600,000.

Wesleyan Hall, the home of offices and classrooms for several departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, is scheduled to receive needed renovations during the summer of 2013, according to university officials. The building, completed in 1856, is among the oldest on campus and is described as “the pride of the student body” on the university’s website.

“Wesleyan Hall was last renovated in 1988, and there are issues that need to be addressed in order to preserve the integrity of our historical building,” said Claudia Vance, chair of the foreign languages department at UNA. “For several semesters now, there have been major signs of mold, gutters and windows not working properly — leaks, rotting wood and other issues that have been needing immediate attention.”

Michael Gautney, director of facilities, said the renovations are expected to cost $600,000 and will be paid for by funds provided by the facilities fee.

“There are some hazards with the carpet right now,” he said. “We are looking to restore the existing hardwood under the carpet in some of the rooms if possible. Otherwise we will have to replace the carpet.”

Larry Bates, UNA associate professor of psychology, teaches in the building and said he feels the new renovations will create a better environment for learning.

“Mainly it should eliminate some of the irritations that go along with older buildings,” Bates said. “I’m looking forward mostly to getting some wood floors. It just seems like a building built in 1855 should have wood floors in the office.”

Romeo Gillyard, a graduate student at UNA, said he is looking forward to the renovations as well.

“There (are three main problems in Wesleyan Hall): the paint, the air and the elevator,” he said. “I didn’t know it was going to be renovated. It needs it, though.”

Vance said faculty members teaching summer courses relocate during the renovations process, which is scheduled to end in August.

“The architectural team chosen for the renovation has been careful to stay true to the building’s history and has chosen interior colors that are authentic for the period in which it was built (in 1855),” Vance said. “This 158-year-old building housed soldiers on both sides of the Civil War and has a great deal of historical value. Knowing that UNA is maintaining it properly for present and future UNA students, faculty and staff is very satisfying to me.”