UPC: Spring concert tickets going fast

Cheryl Mathis, coordinator of programming for student engagement, described a line of students that gathered 20 minutes before 10 a.m. April 4.

The students were waiting to be some of the first to get their free J. Cole tickets from the University Program Council (UPC).

“Those first (tickets) were gone in less than an hour,” Mathis said. “That was unexpected but hopeful. We were hoping for that, but we didn’t expect it.

“We knew people were interested, but we didn’t think we’d go through 100 tickets.”

J. Cole was announced as the entertainer for the UPC Spring Concert March 28.

Will Riley, vice president of UPC, was also happy with the numbers.

“We’ve handed out at least 500 student tickets, which is the most UPC has ever done in the past,” he said. “This far out from the concert, we’re extremely pleased with having around 500 students so far.”

Riley also said there is no end to student tickets and his personal goal is to distribute 1,200 tickets to attendees.

“There’s no cap on student tickets because the concert is funded by the student activity fee,” Riley said. “I believe it’s unethical to charge students money for a ticket because it is their concert.”

John Shyer of Auburn Moon Agency said the number of advanced student tickets handed out is large compared to past shows.

“This has been the quickest-selling show,” Shyer said.

Shyer worked with UPC last spring to book Gloriana. Advance tickets totaled between 400 and 500, while approximately 800 attended the performance.

He also worked with ResLife last fall to book Matisyahu. Eight hundred tickets were given in advance, and more than 1,000 students attended the show, Shyer said.

Judging from past years, Mathis is hopeful about this show.

“I think this will be one of the larger crowds the spring concert has seen in quite a few years,” she said. “It seems like (J. Cole) is fresh enough to gather interest but established enough to where people won’t question the music. It’ll be a good mix.”