Back To School Bash brings lively start to year

Whitney Veazey

On Thursday, Aug. 17, UNA held a Back to School Bash event for both new and returning students. The UNA School of the Arts in partnership with UNA Student Engagement and Sweet Tree Productions hosted hair-metal band The Velcro Pygmies in Norton Auditorium. The band features lead singer Cameron Flener, drummer Chris Eddins, bassist Maximus Hawk, and guitarist Chase West. 

The band performed several covers of classic rock songs including Enter Sandman, Purple Rain, Don’t Stop Believing and Sweet Home Alabama. 

The Velcro Pygmies hail from Louisville, KY, where they began their career in 1990. The Shoals area in particular holds a bittersweet significance in the band’s history. While Florence is home to guitarist Chase West, who joined The Velcro Pygmies in 2006, the city is also the site of a tragedy which struck in 2016 when bassist Jacob Sanders was killed in a boating accident on the Tennessee River. Flener, who co-founded the band, wore Sanders’ image on a dog tag necklace as well as dedicating a song to him on Thursday night.