Kruzn For a Kure visits UNA women’s basketball

Treasure Franklin

Kruzn For a Kure is a nonprofit organization that is raising money to fund research on Schimke Immuno-Osseous Dysplasia (SIOD). This is a multisystem disorder that affects growth, kidneys, heart, lungs and immune system. It affects 1 in 1-2 million babies in the US, only occurring when both parents carry an abnormal gene. 

The foundation is run by Kyle and Jessica Davenport. They are the parents of Kruz and Paizlee Davenport, the first siblings to ever both test positive for SIOD. The Davenports left their regular life to fight for a cure for this disease. 

Since starting the foundation in 2016, they have raised 1.5 million dollars. For the last two years, they’ve sent $30,000 monthly to keep the SIOD research afloat. The Davenport’s goal is to ultimately give hope to the families of those affected by this incurable disease. 

Kruz and Paizlee both attended the UNA women’s team play against Kennesaw State at Flowers Hall on Jan. 24. At halftime, information about the foundation and how to get involved was announced and Kruz and Paizlee went on the court with Una the Lion. 

To get involved visit their website — kruznforakure.org — to see options and learn about their history as a foundation and family.