Officer-involved shooting occurs in Decatur

On Sept. 29, a man was shot and killed by officers with the Decatur Police Department in front of his home in Decatur.

The DPD claims that Stephen Perkins, 39, was wielding a handgun with an attached flashlight, which he brandished towards the officers on the scene. According to officers, this caused them to open fire, fatally wounding Perkins. 

An official DPD press release, given on the day of the incident, states:

“On Friday, Sept. 29, at the request of the Decatur Police Chief, Todd Pinion, Special Agents with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s (ALEA) State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) launched an investigation concerning an officer-involved shooting, which involved officers with the Decatur Police Department.

Officers responded to a call in the 3000 Block of Ryan Drive, in Decatur, involving a man with a gun. The man later identified as Stephen Perkins, 39, was found to be armed with a handgun which was also equipped with a light. During the course of the incident Perkins brandished the weapon towards an officer with the Decatur Police Department, causing the officer to fire at Perkins. Perkins was transported to a nearby medical facility where he succumbed to his injuries.

Nothing further is available as the investigation is ongoing. Once complete, the findings will be turned over to the Morgan County District Attorney’s Office.”

Audio and video recordings from a nearby home security system record officers commands for Perkins to get on the ground, quickly followed by gunfire.

Hundreds of citizens have expressed their concern over the incident, and support for Perkins’ friends and family through protests and vigils since the incident. The ALEA investigation is currently ongoing.

View Comments (1)