Things to do for Halloween this year

Bre Goodwin & Gavin Van Devender

As Halloween is quickly coming up, you may be thinking of some activities that you could attend in celebration of this spooky season. Florence, in recent years, has had a fair amount of events added to each holiday season. This season is no different as there are a plethora of events both for kids and adults alike wanting to get all dressed up to celebrate this Halloween. The following events are just a few of the many things to happen in Florence this Halloween season. 

BooFest 2023

This year the Children Museum Shoals is hosting a BooFest. This event will take place on Oct. 28 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. This event includes games, candy and a special sensory spook house. This also includes a costume contest which will start at 11:30. CMS encourages everyone to come in their best costume and to bring a candy bucket. This event is included in the regular $10 admission fee and annual members have automatic entrance. 

On the Rocks College Night

Although college night takes place every Thursday, Oct. 26 will be the special Halloween celebration hosted by the cover band Carpet Burn. College night goes from 9-12. This will include all of the regular drink specials: $4 well drinks, $3 white tea shots, and $3 OTR draft. These deals are only given with a valid school ID. Carpet Burn encourages everyone to come out in their best costume and listen to live music. 

Alabama Renaissance Faire 

The Alabama Renaissance Faire will take place on the fourth weekend of October this year. While this may not be a specific situation to celebrate Halloween, it is a huge opportunity to dress up and celebrate fall. Florence, after all, is known as the Renaissance city. The Faire will take place on Oct. 28 and 29 and will be held in Wilson Park. There will be 100+ food vendors, merchants and a large amount of performers to entertain. This event is free to get into, just bring money for good food and interesting trinkets. 

Saturday Stories 

On Oct. 28, the Florence-Lauderdale Public Library will be hosting Saturday Stories. This event is for all ages and is free to attend. There will be many stories told and crafts passed out for the kids. This event takes place from 11-11:30 am. 

Arx Mortis 

Arx Mortis is a haunted house located in one of our many neighboring towns, Killen, Ala. Tickets are $29.99 a piece. This haunted attraction is open from 7:30-10:00 on Oct. 19, 26, 29, and 31. On Oct. 20th, 21, 27, and 28 they will be open from 7:30 p.m. to midnight. This year’s haunted house features 5 stories including: Sir Cecil’s World Famous Bigtop, Covington Clinic, Cell Block 9, Deadwater Bayou, and The Underground. The haunted house is only allowed for people 13+. 

Haunted History of the Shoals Ghost Walk

This walk is available from now until October 31st, excluding Oct. 23 and 24. This walk starts in Wilson Park and takes you through historic downtown Florence. Tickets range from $10-$15 depending on the day. This tour is hosted by Debra Glass and takes you to see Florence’s most haunted restaurant and an old Civil War hospital. 

Trunk or Treat

Just as any Halloween, many churches throughout the area will be hosting a Trunk or Treat this year. These churches include but are not limited to: Magnolia Church, on Oct. 25 at 6 p.m., Columbia Cottage, on Oct. 30 at 6 p.m., and First Presbyterian Church on Oct. 29 at 4 p.m. Each place encourages each child to dress in their favorite and best Halloween costume and bring their bucket for a lot of candy.