UNA changes card policy

Open+domain
Open domain

The University of North Alabama announced last Thursday that they were making changes to their credit and debit card policies. 

The university has historically covered the cost of convenience fees on transactions using credit and debit cards. These fees apply to tuition, fee, room and board payments. The fees have become too expensive for the university to absorb, so the cardholder will be responsible for covering the fee. This change will take place Dec. 4. 

The non-refundable convenience fee is 2.85% of the payment, with a minimum of $3. The fee is not determined by the university, but by the third-party payment processor TouchNet. It will appear as a separate charge in the cardholder’s bank statement. The fee will automatically be added to any tuition, fee or room and board payment.

“Families choosing to use credit or debit cards for tuition payments at a majority of private and public colleges/institutions, pay convenience fees for the opportunity of using their credit or debit card,” the university’s statement said.

On August 1, 2024, the percentage will rise to 2.95%.

For those who wish to avoid the fee, UNA offers alternate methods of payment via check, e-check and cash.