Yoga studios to go to in Florence

Whitney Veazey

College life can be stressful like no other. Especially with finals coming up, it’s more important than ever to take care of your physical body, just as you would take care of your mental being. Oftentimes those things go hand in hand. Relaxing is something that your body needs, but so are physical activities. 

Yoga is one of the most known workouts to offer both peace of mind and a good stretch on your body. The origins of yoga go back to Northern India nearly 5000 years ago. The goal of this sport is to relax the mind through the body, increase flexibility, and to regulate your emotions. There are multiple different types of yoga, but the main few are karma yoga, the yoga of action, jnana yoga, the yoga of knowledge, bhakti yoga, the yoga of devotion, and raja yoga, the royal yoga, which mainly focuses on training the mind.   Here are some places where you can achieve these goals.

First off, we’re starting off super close to home, UNA itself. The SRC offers yoga classes weekly. Every Tues and Thurs you can take yoga on the third floor of the SRC. Classes start at 5 p.m. The classes are led by instructor Candace Moore. This class lasts for 45 minutes each week and allows you to forget about campus life while still being there. This particular yoga class is focused on exercise, but with all yoga, it helps the mind as well. If not interested in yoga, the SRC offers many different workout classes for students. The schedule can be found on the UNA website. 

Next, we have, Yoga House on Chisholm road in Florence. If you’re looking for a harder bout at yoga, this may be a good place for you. They have monthly rates and drop in rates. Including a student discount. First time students of Yoga House get an intro offer of $55 a month for unlimited classes. After that, the price does increase based on how many classes you want to take in a month. They offer classes nearly seven days a week. The staff of five includes the two co-owners, Ashley Haselton and Mika Groscost. With just instructors being Sarah Baxter, Ella-Dabney Carrow and Kailey Smith. Each instructor teaches a variety of levels based on your yoga experience. The classes labeled all levels are for everyone, especially beginners. They are offered Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at various times. Yoga House also offers a variety of workshops. If interested, detailed information can be found on their website or their socials.

For Crunch Fitness members, Crunch offers a variety of classes including yoga. With multiple different teachers and at many different time slots to fit your schedule, this is a way to make the most out of your membership at Crunch Fitness. 

If you’re an antisocial being, simply lookup beginners yoga on YouTube. This offers the same exercise of the mind and body, but in the comfort of your own home. Get comfortable doing yoga alone, and then go to a class, so you can slowly become more specialized. 

While yoga may not be for you, it is definitely something that helps others. With a double focus on mind and body that yoga can offer you, it is obvious yoga helps relieve stress, which is just what college students need.