Food trucks boom in the Shoals

Garrett Lindsay

Over the past few years, food trucks have become increasingly popular in the Shoals area. From baked goods to New England lobster rolls, there seems to be a truck for everything. 

Food trucks are quite useful, as they can pop up at any populous locale and cater events easily. There seems to be a new one every week. 

Here are a few of the options within the Shoals:

SMASHED

SMASHED is a burger truck based out of Tuscumbia. As the name suggests, the truck specializes in smashburgers. 

Menu items range from $2 for fries to $14 for “The Works” burger, which includes double patties and every topping they provide. Most burgers fall into the $11 range. Available toppings include shredded lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, pickles, onions, mushrooms and their burger sauce. 

SMASHED posts weekly schedules on their Facebook page, which is pinned on their profile. 

“[SMASHED] is doing much better than I ever anticipated, and I don’t say that in a bragging way,” owner Barron Hamilton said in a 2022 Flor-Ala article. “When I first made my business plan I was just figuring out what I needed to do to survive, because that was what I was trying to do. Looking at my business plan, it’s about 600 percent over what I projected.”

Boona’s

Boona’s is a truck specializing in Philly cheesesteaks. In addition, they also serve slaw dogs.

Menu items range from $1.50 for chips to $10 for their Cheesesteak or Chicken Philly Fries. The fries come with thin-sliced steak or chicken, white American cheese, sauteed onions and peppers.

The truck shares a weekly schedule on their page with locations they’ll be at.

The shop was opened in February of this year by LaKeva and Rodney Harris Jr. 

Flashy Funnel Cakes

Flashy Funnel Cakes specializes in funnel cakes. They are based out of Florence.

All of their funnel cakes are $10 for children and $13 for adults. Some highlight funnel cakes include the Tootie Fruity (fruity pebble cereal, Fruity Pebble syrup and rainbow sprinkles), Backyard BBQ (shredded pulled pork, shredded cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce) and Strawberry Sunrise (fresh sliced strawberries, strawberry syrup, chocolate syrup and strawberry crunch). 

Their opening date was October 29, 2022, at the Waterloo Trunk or Treat. The truck is owned and managed by Britt Drowns and Wes Lovelace, who also manage the Shoals food trucks and vendors Facebook page. 

The Chubby Hubby

The Chubby Hubby is an ice cream and float truck based out of Tuscumbia. 

They offer various pre-made ice cream products, such as Oreo bars, Bomb Pops, Snickers bars, Dibs and more. They usually cater events, and don’t have a weekly schedule available, but do share when they will be in an area. They visit areas around Lauderdale, Colbert and Franklin counties.

The Chubby Hubby was opened by Haley and Sheldon Hayes, who also own Florence’s Play It Again Sports. The truck first began traveling the Shoals in May 2022.

DonutNV

DonutNV specializes in mini donuts, fried in the truck. They post a weekly schedule on their Facebook page with areas they’ll be visiting.

Their donuts are made-to-order, and are available in multiple size options. A small bag is $5 and includes six to eight donuts, a large bag is $8 and includes 12 to 14 donuts, a party box is $15 and includes 24 to 26 donuts and a bucket is $18 and includes 40+ donuts. There are many different types of donuts to order with options like Dirt N’ Worms (crushed Oreos and gummy worms), Strawberry Shortcake and Choco Choco Chip. 

They also have beverages such as coffee, lemonade and hot chocolate.

DonutNV is a franchise that has over 100 locations across the United States. The Florence location was opened on Oct. 27 by Robin and Ron Goshorn.

Fields Wings & Things

Fields Wings & Things specializes in wings, and is based in Florence. They post a monthly schedule on their Facebook page.

They have many options of either dry or wet wings, ribs, cheeseburgers and fries. Flavors for wings include cajun rub, lemon pepper, mild, hot, Fields sweet heat and honey barbecue. Toppings for cheeseburgers include cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup, onion, pickles and mayonnaise.

Fields held their first event at the W.C. Handy Festival in 2021. It is owned by Terriron Fields.

Smile Beverage Co.

Smile Beverage Co. is a beverage trailer based out of Florence. They post a weekly schedule on their Facebook and Instagram page.

They offer multiple “lemonade shakeups,” such as original lemonade for $6, blue lemonade seltzer for $7 and cotton candy lemonade for $8. Their signature pink coconut refresher is $6. They also have cold brew and teas, as well as Italian creme sodas. 

The truck was established in 2022 by Alexandra Graves.