Things to do in the Shoals for Thanksgiving

Bre

With Thanksgiving break coming up, most plan to do absolutely nothing and go home. Although, if you are searching for something to do around the Shoals area there are some options. If you can’t be at home with family, that does not mean you have to sit in your dorm and rot. Florence, although smaller than most college towns, does have things to offer. Whether it be special events or businesses that are open year round in Florence, here are some of many options. 

BCM Noonday

On Nov. 22, the university’s Baptist Campus Ministries will be hosting what they call Noonday. Noonday is a lunch in which students are able to eat for $2 or free for the first time. This is perfect timing for a good lunch to have with others as a community. The BCM is located just across the street from Wesleyan Hall and the lunch will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

UNA CAT: The Importance of being Earnest

The UNA Department of Cinematic Arts and Theatre will be presenting “The Importance of being Earnest: A Trivial Comedy for Serious People.” It is directed by Suzanne Reese-Mills. This story follows two men who get bored with their lives and so they create alter egos to have more fun with their lives. It will be performed on Nov. 16, 17 and 18 at 7 p.m., and on Nov. 19 at 2 p.m. You can go on CampusGroups to be able to register for a free student ticket. 

The Great Gatsby Thanksgiving Cabaret

On Nov. 24th the Montgomery Place out of Sheffield, AL will be hosting the Great Gatsby Cabaret. An event where you are required to dress straight out of the roaring twenties and act like you’re in the middle of prohibition. They will have a live performance from the group The Ladies of Passion and the soundtrack is by DJ DOC. Since it’s a prohibition party the hosts encourage you to supply your own alcohol or BYOB. General tickets are $25 and VIP tickets are $35. You can purchase tickets by calling 404-374-3078 or 256-810-8426. 

Wesley Foundation Community Meal

On November 21st the Wesley Foundation, located across the street from Olive Hall on UNA’s campus, will be hosting a community meal for all. This is an opportunity for a free lunch for all of UNA’s students. This will take place from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. There may even possibly be some Thanksgiving favorites. 

AMC Theatres

Growing up, my best friend’s family always went to the movies the night after Thanksgiving. They would stuff their face with leftovers and then go sit at the movies and spend time with family. This is an activity very possible here in Florence, as we have AMC only ten minutes away from campus. Especially on Thanksgiving Day, the movies are one of the few places open. Take advantage of the lack of the crowd and get out there and watch that movie you have been dying to see. Shows and showtimes can be found on the AMC website.