UNA football takes on Florida State Seminoles

Leon Ono | Volunteer Photographer
Running back Parker Driggers carries the ball down the field away from Tarleton State (2022).

On Nov. 18, the North Alabama football team will take the trip down to Tallahassee, Florida to play against Florida State University. This will be the biggest game of UNA’s football season, and also the last. This will be the first time UNA plays the Seminoles. The game will start at 5:30 and will be aired across the nation on the CW. Locals can also listen in on WLX Radio, 98.5 or 103.5 FM.

Coach Dearmon, only in his first season coaching at UNA, has cut the football team no slack even on their off week. Dearmon has stated that being head coach at UNA was his “dream job”. Dearmon has kept the team on their everyday practice schedule starting at 2 p.m. every Mon-Fri. 

Although this is the biggest game for UNA, they’re practicing like it is any other game. Dearmon states, “We’re not doing anything special, but since it’s the last game of the year we will have a bit more fun this week at practice.” Dearmon seems to be attempting to take the stress off of his players since this game is UNA’s biggest. 

Since entering division 1, this will be UNA’s biggest game, and their most well known competitor. With such a highly publicized game for the University, they are bringing a large audience to North Alabama. This is not only good for the football team, but for the University as a whole. 

Leading the Lions in offense will be Noah Walters, the quarterback from Lincoln, NB. He has a total of 2,280. Following him is Demarcus Lacey, a wide receiver from Birmingham, AL. He has a total of 581 rushing yards. Takairee Kenebrew, a wide receiver from Childersburg, AL. He has a total of 635 receiving yards. These are just a few of the players who will be representing North Alabama in this game. Leading defense, Edwin White Schlutz, a defensive lineman from Mobile, AL, who has 82 tackles for the season. 

Since it’s the last game for some, Dearmon wanted to highlight some seniors who will be putting on their North Alabama jersey for the last time. Starting with Jakob Cummings, a tight end from Auburn, AL. Stevie Young, a player for the offensive line from Ft. Smith, AK. Will Derico, an offensive line player from Montgomery, AL. Phillip Ossai, a defensive line player from Conroe, TX. Finally, Parker Driggers, a running back from Brantley, AL. 

The Lions are going into this game as the underdogs, with a record of 3-7, compared to FSU’s 9-0 record. The undefeated team is predicted to win, with ESPN predicting them a 99% chance to win against the Lions. Regardless of these odds, Dearmon is still working hard to encourage the Lions. 

Dearmon states, “This would be the biggest win in program history to me. In a game where no one will give us a chance, we can send a message that will be heard across the country.”

The game, regardless of the outcome, will put UNA’s name on the minds of others. Dearmon asks other UNA students to encourage the football players if you see them around campus, Dearmon says, “Give a fist bump and a Roar Lions!”