UNA Dining Services open FujiSan Sushi

Whitney Veazey

On Jan. 9, The University of North Alabama’s Dining Services held a soft opening for the university’s newest dining addition, FujiSan Sushi. 

The new dining option is located in the Guillot University Center Food Court, where it has replaced Burger 256. The change was implemented because of responses to a dining survey. 

“Student feedback from our Voice to Vision survey sparked conversations about adding FujiSan to our dining options,” said Susan Breer, UNA’s Senior Director of Dining. “Menu items such as sushi and bubble tea were the most requested food items.” 

Having taken these requests into consideration, UNA Dining Services began to implement the change in the previous semester. 

We began the planning process in October to ensure FujiSan had time to order graphics, recruit and train a sushi team and order any needed equipment,” Breer said. “We coordinated with UNA Facilities teams to remove unneeded equipment, hang new graphics and prepare the space for the new concept. We want to thank Alan Dison and the facilities team for an awesome job!”

Breer is excited to be able to fulfill requests directly made by students through the introduction of FujiSan. Students have also expressed their excitement about a sushi location on campus.

“The feedback has been great!” Breer said. “We spoke with some students in line during opening week and many were on their second visit, and some even brought a friend. Students shared their first order with us on Instagram and expressed excitement about sushi being available in other locations as a grab and go option.”

In addition to the new dining option, Breer is also excited to announce the hiring of a new part-time dietician, who will assist UNA Dining Services in offering nutrition education events throughout the coming semester. 

Students are encouraged to visit FujiSan Sushi and try out UNA Dining’s newest addition.