The best music of 2023 according to our staff

Andrea Arroyo

Emma’s picks:

The Record by boygenius

The Record is a triumph for boygenius. Not only did it earn the group some Grammy nominations, but Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker made one of the best albums I have ever had the privilege of listening to. It’s one of (if not the) best albums to come out of 2023.

Good Riddance by Gracie Abrams

For a debut album, this is great. Aaron Dessner’s influence shines and I can totally see Gracie becoming one of the pop it-girls this decade.

Unreal Unearth by Hozier

Hozier. That’s it. He’s a god in the studio.

Guts by Olivia Rodrigo

So turns out Olivia is immune to the sophomore slump. This album has some deep cuts and some hard bops. It still ends up in my monthly music recap.

Trenedy’s Picks:

This is why by Paramore

Paramore truly doesn’t miss. This album is chock-full of paramore’s signature spunky, and almost rebellious, style. Track five is a masterpiece, I fear. 

Cracker Island by Gorillaz 

I know this is a single, but i’ve replayed it so many times it could be its own album. Thundercat is a fantastic artist, pair them with the Gorillaz? Fire.

Wake Up & It’s Over by Lovejoy

As a 21 and a half minute run-time, this EP takes you on a little trip. Starts off strong and then stays strong and upbeat the whole time. It’s such a great feel good album. 

You are who you hang out with by The Front Bottoms 

Produced by Fueled by Ramen so you know the album is going to be fire. Judging a book by its cover is kind of the norm with The Front Bottoms. Overall fantastic album.

Trevor’s Picks:

Back To The Water Below by Royal Blood

Royal Blood’s fourth studio album proved to be just as intense as their previous records. Crunchy bass guitar riffs and melodic vocal lines helped cement Back To The Water below as a staple of my playlists last year.

On Top of the Covers (Live from The Sun Rose) by T-Pain

T-Pain’s live cover album has everything your heart could ever desire. His smooth vocals are woven seamlessly into every track he sings, and the audience interaction on this live recording adds level after level of character and depth to him as an artist. There is no popular song today that T-Pain wouldn’t make better.

CAN YOU IMAGINE? by Elevation Worship

Elevation Worship continues to make some of the best popular Christian worship music today. Every track on this album beautifully encapsulates biblical messages, and does it very well. The vocal performances on every track hit like a truck and have been stuck in my head all year long.

Amberly’s Picks:

Snow Angel by Renee Rapp

Reneè Rapp has absolutely crushed every single thing she’s done and Snow Angel has been no different. She has made the switch from broadway to acting to music so seamlessly, and this album is one of my all time favorites. 

SOS by SZA

SZA simply just doesn’t put out bad music. She’s super talented and her song “Ghost in the Machine” featuring Phoebe Bridgers is easily a favorite of mine. 

Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever) by Noah Kahan 

Noah Kahan is a folk god. His writing and musicality make for an easy and fun listen while also still punching you in the gut. The deluxe version of Stick Season added so much to the original music, and released the most gut wrenching songs I’ve heard in my life, “Call Your Mom”. 

Did you know there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd by Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey is simply a music mastermind and has been a favorite of mine for almost a decade. Her voice is ethereal and combine that with Jack Antonoff you get such a beautiful record.