Architect and manager found for stadium project

Mock-ups shown at the initial press conference. Courtesy of UNA.

An architect and project manager has been found for Bank Independent Stadium, the new multipurpose sports stadium. 

HPM was chosen as project manager, and Davis Architects is set to design. Both firms are based out of Birmingham. HPM will provide owner’s representation and preconstruction services to the stadium. 

“The forthcoming Bank Independent Stadium is an exciting addition to our extensive portfolio of sports and recreation projects across the country, and we have seen immense demand for these types of facilities in Alabama as our state’s population continues to grow,” said HPM Vice President of Program Development Ben Henson. “We’re looking forward to working alongside The University of North Alabama to deliver this highly anticipated multipurpose facility, which will serve as a transformative community venue and a catalyst for Florence’s burgeoning growth story.”

HPM has a total management portfolio of over $1 billion annually, and serves clients nationwide. Previous projects include Bryant Denny Stadium, Sewell Thomas Stadium, Rhoades Softball Stadium, Hank Crisp Indoor Practice Facility, Coleman Coliseum and Mal M. Moore Athletic Facility at The University of Alabama; Daniel Meyer Coliseum and Lupton Baseball Field at Texas Christian University; The University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Protective Life Stadium; and Texas Tech University’s Jones AT&T East Side Stadium. They also provided work on Legacy Arena in Birmingham.

“[HPM and Davis Architects] are nationwide companies, but they’re also based right here in Birmingham, so that’s been nice to have them,” said Josh Looney, UNA Athletics Director. “When something comes up, we can call them, they can come right up to Florence. It’s been a great partnership so far.”

According to Looney, more support has come from the community than expected. Bank Independent Stadium is also one of the priorities in the new Shine On Gold campaign taking place at the university. 

“Bank Independent Stadium is going to be a community stadium and a community asset, not just an asset for the University of North Alabama, not just an asset for our athletics department, not just an asset for our football program or soccer or baseball,” Looney said. “This is truly a community asset.”

The project was announced June 9 at a UNA Board of Trustees meeting, where the board unanimously voted to approve plans for the stadium and enter the next phase, the design phase. Finding an architect and project manager is setting plans ahead of schedule.

The stadium will be located where the practice field resides. It will be beside Flowers Hall, and across Pine Street from Rice and Rivers Hall.

View Comments (1)